cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN connection is throttling

winch1
Joining in

I have purchased an L2TP tunnel from Andrews & Arnold - it's a 6in4 tunnel.  My 350Mbps connection is being throttled down to about 30Mbps through the tunnel.

It seems this is a common problem for L2TP, and widely reported.  I understand it is fixed by the Superhub 5, but I only have a Superhub 3. I also understand that some firmware fixes were in the works several years ago, but if they are applied, they are certainly not working in my case.

I have spent several hours on chat support.  I have suffered the usual gaslighting and misdirection from this team.  I hope that this forum will be more productive.

Please can somebody assist?  What can I do?

11 REPLIES 11

carl_pearce
Community elder

Technically VM don't support VPNs, so unsure where you stand.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

if other ISP can do it faster then VM is the problem

---------------------------------------------------------------

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @winch1 

Welcome to the community forums 

Sorry to hear that you're having concerns with your set up. 

We do not support VPN's, third party set ups or network customisations on our routers, so the forums team wouldn't be able to assist you with this query. The community members maybe able to assist further on the set up with advice and steps on how you maybe able to work this as we have many members with a wide knowledge on network set ups. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

winch1
Joining in

Hi @carley_s,

Please can you direct me to the part of the agreement that states VM doesn't support VPNs, and clarify what exactly qualifies as a network customisation or third party set up?

I'm actually using the VM router in modem mode, so I'm not asking it to do anything but transfer packets.  To be clear, it appears this is a common issue which is fixed with the Superhub 5, so it does appear that VM have supplied me with a sub-par modem.

Thank you.

By support we mean we aren't able to support you with the set up and troubleshooting of any VPN or third party device/set up concerns you may have. 

So any third party routers and other networking devices, software such as VPN's which can change your networking data and performance and set ups such as third party mesh set ups, booster/extender, switches, cabling ect - we wouldn't be able to support with here as we'd only be able to assist with our own equipment at it's default settings.  

Virgin Media hold no responsibility for any faults or concerns from third party equipment. This is outlined in our terms and conditions here in Section E part 6. 

If you have any concerns with your third party networking set ups,  you can sign up for our HomeWorks service if you haven't already. This has the benefits of speaking with our gadget rescue team to see if they're able to assist further with anything third party related such as VPN's. This is a chargeable service and you can find more information here if you need.

The Hub 3 isn't a sub-par modem for the services it is designed for. The Hub 4 and 5, whilst is an upgrade, is provided only to those on the higher speed tariffs as these are not supported by the Hub 3. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

what we need is a UDP speed test....

---------------------------------------------------------------

Anonymous
Not applicable

They're unable to offer any support for the products they sell so you've no chance.

Hi big_christian,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, we are sorry to hear you feel like we are unable to offer support, so we can try to help please can you expand a little on the issue you are facing?

Regards

Paul.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not facing any issues so feel free to get back to removing my posts if you like.