cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM Hub 3, Eero 6+ and NAS odd behaviour

chris9486
Tuning in

Since switching from Sky to VM I am having some access issues. My setup as below;

• Asustor NAS to a 6 port switch (other things are plugged in to it)
  • Switch then runs on a 5m Cat6 cable to the VM router, in port 2
  • Eero 6+ is connected to port 1 on the VM router.
  • Wifi has been disabled on the router.

My issue;

I cannot connect to the NAS drive via wifi, I can connect to it if I use a cable into the back of the router. I can connect via wifi to the Plex media server on my NAS drive, via Plex apps to watch my 4K drone videos. I didn't have this problem with the Sky router at all, everything just worked.  

I have reset the VM router, deleted my old Eero network and set up a new one, I have also power cycled the NAS and switch. 

Other devices connected to the switch include a Hive hub. That works fine over wifi also. 

If I connect via cable to the router, and map some drives on the hard drive, they will continue to work when I go back on to wifi for, what seems, a random period of time. 

Does anyone have any suggestions they could help me with?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Why don’t you run the VM hub in modem mode and use the Eero as the router?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Client62
Legend

We would expect the Wi-Fi laptop to have a DHCP IP from the VM Hub, and to appear as connected device in the VM Hub menu.

A Wi-Fi laptop should be able to Ping the NAS unit, check that is possible.

If not have a look at the Eero 6+ settings, in this system one would expect it to be in Access Point Mode, with its DHCP server disabled, and to have Access Point Isolation disabled.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Why don’t you run the VM hub in modem mode and use the Eero as the router?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Take this cable "Switch then runs on a 5m Cat6 cable to the VM router" and plug it into the Eero.  It sounds as if you are running 2 DHCP servers?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

chris9486
Tuning in

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to fiddle with some of the Eero settings later because I'm convinced it's the problem.

Wifi on the hub is disabled because I have the Eero for WiFi, its a lot better than just the hub in our house. I'll mess with settings tonight.

I tried running the modem mode and plugging the cable from the switch into the eero. Rebooted everything and plex wouldn't work. I could see the NAS in the asustor software but it said it was on a different subnet. It wouldn't let me access it. I didn't know what to do after.

Client62
Legend

In Modem mode the VM Hub must have just one network connection directly to the Eero WAN port.
Any switches must then be attached to a LAN port of the Eero.

chris9486
Tuning in

When in modem mode I had the Eero plugged into port 1, nothing else. I plugged the cable from the switch into port 2 on the Eero. I couldnt see the NAS, but after I power cycled everything I could see it but it just wouldn't let me access it. I also couldn't get Plex to connect to my Plex Server on the NAS.

I have found a solution I think. I've plugged  the network switch cable into port 2 on VM hub. And eero into port 1. On the eero, I've changed it to bridge mode. Everything works fine now, not sure what the downside of it being Bridge mode is. It's also strange that I didn't have to do this when I had a Sky router.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Eero is a mesh system which, in common with most, have their own DHCP server as the system works best with this server. You should put the hub into modem mode, connect only the Eero in router mode to it and connect the switch to the Eero. Now connect NAS to switch and it will work.  You can run anything else off the switch.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

This did and didn't work. It resolved being able to connect to my NAS to do admin through the Asustor app. However, I was not able to play anything on a Plex app on my TV, Laptop, Xbox or Phone. It seems for some reason the Plex server or my devices do not like this set up. Ironically, if I have it all connected to VM hub with wifi off, and then eero connected to the VM hub, I can play anything from Plex on any device within the house. 

I have been in contact with Eero and they're asking me to do the same thing. But I just lose the functionality of Plex.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you checked what IP addresses are on all the devices?  It could be the Hub is issuing 192.168.0.xxx and the Eero was dishing out 192.168.1.xxx ??

Also you really want all traffic to go via the switch and not the Hub ports. That way no LAN traffic needs to go near the Hub. Only internet traffic should be directed via the Hub. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks