cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top speed of WiFi Pods, would a speed boost help.

ajo
Tuning in

We had an email offer of a speed boost to 500Mb for a reduced fee. We are currently on 350Mb and have 2 WiFi pods. The router is in the loft (it's where the computer used to be) so I have 2 WiFi Pods pretty much underneath it on the floor below. Putting one on the landing and another one below on the ground floor didn't seem to work that well.

So as the WiFi pods can only output from the signal that it can get from the router, would a speed boost help with the speed around the house, or are the WiFi Pods maxed out as some point. Would it improve the chances of a WiFi Pod being put on the ground floor and working well as it often drops out in some areas.

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No.  Have you considered moving the Hub out from the loft to a more central location?  VM will move it for you for a fee of £25.

Or run an ethernet cable from the Hub to a wireless access point and switch - in the central location

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

It is at the moment in the best spot really. On the landing in the centre of the house by the stairs, no doors or walls closing it in. Also has a power inverter for solar panels running into it. All other locations would be closed in more.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Pods are not really the best solution.  The ethernet cable connected solution is always best. 

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point(s), or a combination of (2&3).

£40-100 should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage. Spend more for additional advanced“features” or bigger properties - if required.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hosay299
Superfast

Hi when i asked about a wifi type to extend it i was told to use somthing like this 

what is it u are tying to do in simple terms ??

Virgin say the pods they supply are a  "mesh" system. Are they not?

Hi if would like some like reveiws on them then do a google search also youtube is good for videos and helpful tips on things

i am not able to say as i am new to the Mesh system side i used tp link before 

Thanks. So if I am not getting great speeds downstairs already, then a faster speed will have no effect or better for sharing multiple devices?

Hello ajo

Sorry to hear of the wireless network issues experienced with regards to your signal strength and range. Although the Pod's can help with this, increasing the package speed won't help increase the signal strength or range. We do have some help here for wireless networks and placement of the pod's can take some 'tinkering' to get the best results.

If you are on a Volt package you are eligible for upto 3 Pod's.

Rob