cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick Question

slowstar
Dialled in

Hi

I feel abit silly asking this - My laptop has recommended "public" for internet /ethernet -  is this ok to leave it as ( have antivirus ) or should it be "private" for everything 

Have a good weekend and thank you 

3 REPLIES 3

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Public is okay.

FYI…

Make a Wi-Fi network public or private in Windows

When you first connect to a Wi-Fi network in Windows 11, it’s set as public by default. This is the recommended setting. However, you can set it as public or private depending on the network and what you want to do:

Public network (Recommended). Use this for networks you connect to at home, work, or in a public place. You should use this in most cases. Your PC will be hidden from other devices on the network. Therefore, you can’t use your PC for file and printer sharing.

Private network. Your PC is discoverable to other devices on the network, and you can use your PC for file and printer sharing. You should know and trust the people and devices on the network.

[Source: Make a Wi-Fi network public or private in Windows - Microsoft Support]

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

Thank u for your response much appericated, Just wondered if i did put it to private would i have to reboot hub? 

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You would not have to reboot the Hub.