cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Virginmedia login account email & VM connect app

gmij1961
Joining in

I am wondering if any else has the same experience ?

A few months ago VM broke my email on my main billing account claiming it had locked out  and I needed to reset it . The reset procedure was dubious as not only did it force to change your main login password but it then allocated me 28 character string  ( aaaaa-bbbbb-ccccc-ddddd format ) to use to connected all the main instances of mail you may have across all you various devices . I probably had about 10 instances I had to change so it took me about an hour to change. Being allocated such a password is blatantly insecure as you end up storing it in a clear text file !!

However the penny dropped the account used had had my ntlworld email as the account id and my fundamentally insecure imap (email)  password as login and now given you can upgrade and purchase using that login. A substantial security flaw . This was backed up by the fact that my other my Vm login which had no billing credentials against was left untouched and still has. To complete the process you had specify a recovery account and I ended up using my gmail account .( which becomes relevant latter).

I complained in no uncertain terms as this process appeared to be a thinly disguised   cover up to close a significant security breach on VM's part and in reality a better processes would be to honest with effected legacy customers mainly  ntlworld.com and create a new account password and then allow them to set up a secure email ( imap login) password of their own choice .  I think ntlworld account are still hosted by gmail and in my opinion native gmail accounts have a good level of security when login into new devices etc which VM mail doe not !!!

However it got worse a couple months latter it happened again on the same account  that Email account allegedly got locked but this time I was forced to change my email login account id from my ntlworld.com to by supposed backup gmail account . It was until I did that I could log back into my account . However although my email logins are a seperate "insecure" character string  I had to go through  the process a getting a new  insecure password and then go through the work of changing on all my mail client instances across all my devices  AGAIN.

However today as I am having some issues  with wifi functionality using the VM connect app . After upgrading on the tablet it was initially installed on I then hit a brick will to trying to login . If I try my current account gmail login it flags up invalid email login it complains of invalid email address  and if I try my old email login I get invalid password , even if I try my new one . My other unchanged ntlworld account is also unrecognised .  The same happened when I did a fresh install any my new phone

The net result for it looks as a result of VM's half baked process to address a security hole they have broken something with my account and this is what happens when you don't fix things properly .

I have logged a fault on this but I am due a tech today to look at my router .  

However as I think  I am not the only one who has gone through the process , I would be interested to hear from others and whether they now have a similar . In terms of VM I rather hope someone acts  quickly on this as I really don't  believe VM have handles quite a blatant security hole in a proper manner . If the problem was down to email accounts being locked out then why do not see across all legacy ntlworld accounts and other legacy domains.

0 REPLIES 0