cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port forwarding on Hub 5x

pinkycz
Joining in

Hi,

only got my line installed today and it came with Hub 5x 😣. Here starts the pain.

I stilll have other line runing from my old provider so transferring the setup atm, I just can't seem to be able to set port forwarding as I need to. I guess there might be some confusion as to what External port range is supposed to mean?

Basically I want any external IP, any external port connecting to local port X to be forwarded to specific IP, port Y.

While other - like SSH - I only want to be allowed form certain locations... But trying to set external port range 1-65535 for a external(remote?) port when local port range is singel port or a small range) alway returns an error "The port range should match".

HOWEVER it is possible to save when extrenal port range and and local one has the same number of ports in the range.
So it looks as if the "external" ports is not meant to be port of the external endpoint accessing my router (and there is no filter for external party IP anyway), but the VM router's externally facing port. So technically this is not port forwarding but (limited) NAT? 

is there some way to restrict access to certain ports from specific external IPs/range? I haven't found anything in the firewall setup so transfer of rule allowing SSH form certain range of IPs that dumb Sky router is capable of managing seem to be an impossible task... any clues how to acieve this? IP and port filtering setup option seem to only work to limit internal clients access to WAN?!?

Second, setting up SMTP 25 port forward to my internal mail server seem to be prohibited?!? Why would that be?
adding port 25 throws an error "The configured port range cannot contain one of the following reserved ports (25,53,135,137,138,139,161,162,445,1080)"

As I've said I, my hub is 5x so already saw number of posts about missing support for modem mode so please do not suggets "Modem mode" as that does not work on this device yet and god knows if it ever will. And the prospect of buying another router makes me rather want to return all in cooling-off period and stick to my old 80mbit crap until VM gets this sorted out.

3 REPLIES 3

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @pinkycz Thanks for reaching out us and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media forums. 👋🏼

Apologies for the issues you are facing in relation to the Hub 5x settings for port forwarding.
Your your area is currently part of a new service test for symmetric speeds, utilizing XGS-PON technology. Because of this, we cannot modify any settings on the Hub 5x, including port forwarding, as these hubs are specifically calibrated for this setup. Changing these settings could impact your service and potentially damage the equipment, which may result in a replacement charge.

Thank you for your understanding. If you have any other questions or need further assistance, please let us know.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

You have to cancel and tell VM you want modem mode or hope you get it.

@pinkycz wrote:

Second, setting up SMTP 25 port forward to my internal mail server seem to be prohibited?!? Why would that be?
adding port 25 throws an error "The configured port range cannot contain one of the following reserved ports (25,53,135,137,138,139,161,162,445,1080)"

Blame the USA Liberty Global ALL other hubs in modem mode allow port 25

really only ports 135,137,138,139 and 445 should be blocked for the UK and one other that was a backdoor....

---------------------------------------------------------------

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

How on earth can Virgin Media justify selling a slugged product to their customers without making this clear?  And what the heck has port forwarding got to do with the specifics of symmetrical upstream/downstream?  If ISP Review aren't already informed, they'd be interested in this scandal.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)