cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old NTL/Chorus cables

Seanners83
Joining in

Hello

Are the old NTL/Chorus cables that run along houses still active?

There is one on my mother-in-law's house and it is falling down between the houses. I'm wondering if I can just disconnect it and get rid of it. 

I've tried calling Virgin but I get passed from department to department and nobody answers my questions or arranges an engineer to come out. 

Thanks in advance 

Seán 

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Some photos would be useful

Old cables are often still active.  Can you identify where that one comes from and where it goes to?  Does it serve a brown/white "omnibox" on the external wall of a property perhaps?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Seanners83, thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media Community Forums. 👋🏼

The cables are all active, whether a property has services or not.
But I will assist you further on this, I will send you a private message.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi,

I also have old NTL cables falling off my home. Can these be removed?

Hey Jace123,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.
Are you currently an active Virgin Media customer or not?

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

1000022062.jpg

Meant to come back to this a long time ago. Virgin were little help. Cables still there hanging down.

These were from the old analogue system. It is coaxial cable. I would assume all VM customers are all now on fibre optic cables that were laid a few years ago. 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The majority of Virginmedia customers are still on coaxial cables, although this is gradually changing. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hi @Seanners83 

I have checked the PM my colleague sent and were very helpful as we identified you needed to speak to Virgin Media Ireland. Please do speak to them via 0035312458000 and they can assist further :).

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill