cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offline for 5 days, please help

Elle11
Tuning in

Hoping someone can help me… slowly losing the will to live here. Quite a complex story yet so simple at the same time.

Virgin installed our service end of June. Been working fine. However on the account they listed my neighbours address instead of mine. Tuesday they finally updated the address on their system but this shut down our whole service. They are now treating it as a new installation. 

I’ve since had 3 engineers here. A new hub and stream box yet still not online. Green light on the hub.

Given the service was installed previously and working fine surely it’s just a small glitch or typo somewhere with the address confusion?

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get this sorted and back online so I can work? No one at Virgin seems to be listening to the facts. 
thank you 🤞

10 REPLIES 10

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you tried a Hub reset like this...

With the Hub switched "on", and co-ax still connected, push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail/SIM tray “tool” or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT manually restart the Hub at any time. Leave it 5' or so to initialise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base. The SSID and passwords will revert to those on the sticker too. Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings/admin one to access the Hub.
You will need to reconnect your devices if you had changed the password, or just change the password back to your preferred one.
See if that sorts it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John, tried several resets with the pin hole. Still no luck. Currently waiting on another engineer. Just seems crazy when everything was installed and working fine, it was purely an administrative error with the address. 

Hi @Elle11,

Thank you for your posts and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been having some ongoing complications with your installation and are continuing to have no access to services. I'm going to send you a private message shortly so we can take a closer look at what's going on for you. Please respond to that when you can and we'll go from there with this.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

@Elle11 wrote:

Thanks John, tried several resets with the pin hole. Still no luck. Currently waiting on another engineer. Just seems crazy when everything was installed and working fine, it was purely an administrative error with the address. 

Yes, you can do pin-hole resets until the proverbial 'cows come home’ - won’t help, neither, incidentally will another engineer visit. It’s a back-end provisioning issue, and yes, theoretically it can be fixed with a few taps on a keyboard. Except, VM need to have a process to understand this (they don’t) and have a mechanism to deal with it (again, they don’t)!

The good news, well such as it is, now assuming that you didn't deliberately give VM the wrong address - of course you didn’t but it may legally become important (hint, Ombudsman Service), then VM now owe you compensation of a little under £10 per day for the loss of service. Do, please keep this forum updated with what happens.

Thanks for the info. Virgin used the neighbours address to book the installation in June when we moved in because weirdly our address wasn’t in their drop down menu and they couldn’t add it manually. Said if they supplied our neighbour they can supply us, they’ve sent an engineer to confirm the address as legitimate. Every time I spoke to Virgin on the phone, via message or in person I corrected the address. Even supplied documents from the council and land registry confirming the address. Other companies online are correct Royal Mail, Sky etc.

You were right. The 4th engineer came today and couldn’t fix it. Says everything is as it should be. It’s an account issue. Since called me back to say “they” think the hub has been “hit” too many times and needs to reset (although he wasn’t sure that was it as it should have been working after the re-install. And they tried a new hub.

I’ve been told to wait until 7pm to do an another pin hole reset but fear that will be another day without broadband. My phone data (with another company) is taking a pretty big hit hotspotting my work Teams calls. Been paying for a hot desk some days but it’s quite far. My complaints are being closed without response. Guessing daily compensation will be another battle. When working the service was pretty good but the customer run around when a problem is dreadful.

Goes without saying the 7pm pin hole reset didn’t work either.Ive been told to go it again in the morning 🤷‍♀️

scarter177
On our wavelength

Have you submitted a formal complaint yet? I'd recommend doing that, so then if necessary you can take it to the ombudsman. Virgin Media's customer support is dire.

I’ve submitted 3 complaints. 1st one closed without a response so I raised another querying it. 2nd one closed and marked as resolved when they updated the address but this also left me without service. Other than initial auto reply to confirm receipt of complaint never once have they called me or emailed about it, I just notice it gets marked as resolved at some point via the app. Final complaint made this week about the handling of other complaints and being left without service (which they will have known had they called to resolve the complaint like their process says they will). Easily the worst customer experience. Previously with Sky with no complaints, just fell for the full fibre when we moved and were out of contract. 

Elle11
Tuning in

Update: I am back online! Billing is a mess though, I've paid a month in advance on 16th for the service that stopped working on 17th. And am also being charged for a new service from 17th. Virgin have no record of my previous payments despite still having the same account number, direct debits etc. They have kindly switched me to paper billing for £1.99 a month (despite previously being e-billing), telling me they can't change this over the phone I have to do it via the app only the app isn't really fit for purpose and this isn't possible. Compensation doesn't appear to be forthcoming for the whole outage either (or after the first 2 days). But that is a battle for another day. Thanks for listening and offering advice to keep me sane, gonna be a long 18 month contract 🙂