cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not sure if I have VM socket

Alice8
Joining in

Hello all,

I'm interested in getting VM as my broadband, however, I'm not sure if the sockets I have are working VM sockets, and if not, if I select the engineer to set it up for me, they will be able to do it on a day/ at all.

I have the Openreach Master Socket 5C with the outlet for the G. fast router. And next to it coaxial socket. Also have a VM media socket which I don't think it's connected to anything at the moment.

Do those sockets are usable for the VM? And if not, does the engineer visit for instalation would do anything? Is there are a chance that I could use VM braodband? I checked on their website, and based on my address I should be able, but I would rather check beforehand, than have issues later on.

IMG_20240706_155535.jpg

IMG_20240706_155628.jpg

3 REPLIES 3

Client62
Alessandro Volta

Those TV and Phone/xDSL sockets are not suitable for a VM connection.

Assuming that you own this property, book an engineer installation, if new cables are needed don't make any assumptions about how long (could be months) that will take to complete. 

If you rent the property, land lord permission is required in writing before an order can be placed, and do not order at all if the duration of you stay would not exceed the VM contract period.  If you disconnect early and move out VM will charge the full termination fee as set out in the contract i.e. the cost of all the remaining months.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You need to check whether there is an existing Virginmedia cable from the road to your property.  The most usual indication would be a grey or brown box on the outside wall. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Vikki_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Alice8

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community. 

We're happy to hear you're considering us as your provider :).

Looking at the internal connection points you've provided, you'll require a manned engineer visit to install. 

Please pop your postcode in here, this will show if the address is serviceable.

Please let us know how you get on and if you have any further questions. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide