cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet download speed and hub confusion

TOMSK65
Tuning in

Earlier in the year I upgraded my package to include Volt G1. I was informed that I would be sent out a new hub but this didn't arrive and so I continued using the Hub 5 that I have been using.

Now through my ethernet connection I am averaging download speeds of  350mb to 380mb at best on a gigbyte service which doesn't seem right to me.

Anyway recently i recieved an email from virgin stating that they think there is something wrong with my connection and they are monitoring it and making steps to fix this.

A couple of days later I got another email saying 

We tried to fix your broadband performance issues remotely, but it looks like the problem’s still ongoing. The good news is, we can help you sort it right now. There’s no need to call us.

It could be as simple as fixing a few loose cables or clicking your unique reset link below. Just follow these steps and we’ll check your connection again – it’s the quickest and easiest way to get your service back up and running.

I checked all my cables and connections which were fine and so I tried to reset my Hub 5 as requested.

The thing is no matter what I do in trying to reset the thing it doesn't reset. or go back to factory settings no matter how long I press the reset button or unplug the hub!!

Can I request an replacement hub or should I not bother as 350mb - 380mb download is the expected download speed on a Volt G1 Service?

2 REPLIES 2

Client62
Legend

Be very careful with the emails, make sure the sender really is VM.

Your Hub 5 is the latest model for CATV/DOCSIS connections, so perhaps it is worth establishing
the service speed to the VM Hub 5 to help work out where the speed loss is occurring.

First call 0800 561 0061 - use the automated number to see if there is a fault in your street.

Speed test the service to a Router mode Hub(3/4/5) + your device with the link below.
https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once the test begins click on: Run full test to see all the stats.

The speed at the Hub should reflect your subscription.
The speed any WiFi device draws data at is limited by its data needs and technical abilities.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi TOMSK65 

You can reset and/or factory reset your hub5 by logging in via the browser interface 192.168.0.1

You need to select the restore to factory default option shown in the screenshots below. Restoring to factory default will mean any changes you have made to the settings of your Hub 5 will be lost.

reload and reboot.jpgrestore default.jpg

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali