cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet completely cutting out every few minutes, 100% packet loss for a split second.

11aidandawes
Tuning in

A few days ago, on Monday 1st April, the internet was down for everyone in my postcode, it came back on 2nd April at around noon but since then my internet has been randomly cutting out on all of the devices in my house, some are wireless and some are wired with ethernet cables.

I will be playing a video game and every few minutes the internet completely cuts out for a split second so for about a second every few minutes I get 100% packet loss, as you can imagine this is not ideal for gaming at all.

I'm wondering if there is still a partial outage in my area or if something happened to my router after the outage was fixed, I have reset my router twice now by unplugging it for about a minute and then plugging it in, i've also unplugged all the ethernet cables and plugged them back in, none of this helped.

Any suggestions on what might be causing this? Keep in mind I had ZERO issues before the outage in my area a few days back and didn't mess with anything during the outage or afterwards, it was only when a couple of days passed and I was still getting the issue that I started to troubleshoot.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you very much. 

24 REPLIES 24

11aidandawes
Tuning in

ecdcd94ec41820f4097c24a7ebf2700fbcf3693f-08-04-2024.png

Here's my Broadband Quality Monitor from the last 24 hours or so, it looks normal to me? I genuinely think the issue is between my Router and Virgin Media themselves, I specifically think this due to everything being fine until there was maintenance in my area. 

Any idea what might be happening?

Thank you very much once again.

11aidandawes
Tuning in

ecdcd94ec41820f4097c24a7ebf2700fbcf3693f-08-04-2024.png

Here's my Broadband Quality Monitor from the last 24 hours or so, it looks normal to me so I genuinely think the issue is between my router and Virgin Media itself. I specifically think this because the issues only started after there was maintenance in my area, I have not changed anything about my setup.

Do you know what might be happening?

Thank you very much once again.

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello 11aidandawes.

Thanks for your first post and welcome to our community.

Sorry for the delay in replying.

As your post was almost a week ago, Can we please ask if there has been any improvement?

Gareth_L

11aidandawes
Tuning in

Good Afternoon Gareth,
Last time I checked was around 1am last night and I was still having the same issues then. I can update you when I get home from work later today but I can almost guarantee the issues will continue since they've been constant for a week now and were still happening earlier today.

My internet was perfect with high speeds and no packet loss until Monday April 1st. On this day, Broadband went down across my entire postcode according to your website and so I didn't have any internet for around 12 hours I'd say.

Once it came back on at around noon the next day (April 2nd) it was never the same and I've been having issues ever since. 

It seems that for a few seconds every few mintues the internet completely cuts out. If I am in a call the other person's camera and mic will completely freeze for a few seconds or if I am playing a video game all of the other players will be completely still for a few seconds, as you can imagine it's not ideal for this to be happening every few minutes.

However, I am not sure if this is a packet loss issue because games seem to react like my packet loss is perfect (20ms ping, 0% loss) and then for those few seconds the internet is down they get 100% packet loss, there is no inbetween, it's either 0% or 100%.

I know for a fact it's not my ethernet cable as I have not changed anything with the setup since a few weeks ago when things were perfect and also I have a PS5 connected wirelessly and that is having the very same issues as my PC connected via ethernet cable.

I have powered my router off and back on again multiple times and even factory reset it and the problems still remain. Could you please help me figure out what the issue may be and fix it please?

Thank you very much. 

Good Afternoon Gareth,
Last time I checked was around 1am last night and I was still having the same issues then. I can update you when I get home from work later today but I can almost guarantee the issues will continue since they've been constant for a week now and were still happening earlier today.

My internet was perfect with high speeds and no packet loss until Monday April 1st. On this day, Broadband went down across my entire postcode according to your website and so I didn't have any internet for around 12 hours I'd say.

Once it came back on at around noon the next day (April 2nd) it was never the same and I've been having issues ever since. 

It seems that for a few seconds every few mintues the internet completely cuts out. If I am in a call the other person's camera and mic will completely freeze for a few seconds or if I am playing a video game all of the other players will be completely still for a few seconds, as you can imagine it's not ideal for this to be happening every few minutes.

However, I am not sure if this is a packet loss issue because games seem to react like my packet loss is perfect (20ms ping, 0% loss) and then for those few seconds the internet is down they get 100% packet loss, there is no inbetween, it's either 0% or 100%.

I know for a fact it's not my ethernet cable as I have not changed anything with the setup since a few weeks ago when things were perfect and also I have a PS5 connected wirelessly and that is having the very same issues as my PC connected via ethernet cable.

I have powered my router off and back on again multiple times and even factory reset it and the problems still remain. Could you please help me figure out what the issue may be and fix it please?

Thank you very much. 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

I had a device that once caused this so likely VM need to reboot something their end

Do you think you can BQM VM WAN gateway IP for checking   

---------------------------------------------------------------

This is a link to my Broadband Quality Monitor as of today, I can't really notice anything wrong with it, it doesn't seem to be picking up the fact that I seem to lost connection to the internet every few minutes.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/6a872bbbb8b8ac2bade7f5d9f2131942c8...

That second link you sent, what exactly do I do on that page? Just click OK to test my outgoing ports?

Its just my BQM and testing site in my sig

Thank you for the help. Sorry to be a bother but could you perhaps explain to me what to do on the testing site? Which options do I press and how will I know if there are any issues? 

Thank you once again.

Its just testing like VPN connections and outgoing ports instead of many sites that do TCP inbound testing port scanning this does outbound tests like port 80, 443 but also as much of the full TCP port range over 65000 ports if you allow by your firewall and browser as all but 443 is tested by HTTP such that Edge you need to allow Insecure content for bridgemode.bounceme.net  as for OK or OK SSL one tests to the next page by HTTP and IP the other HTTPS bridgemode.bounceme.net