cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5x

MrCooke13
Joining in

I've just signed up to the Gig2 service in a brand new XGS-PON area (only became live yesterday). I ordered at 7pm and a team came this morning to do the external work... Impressive thus far!

However, I fear I may have ordered in haste as subsequent research has shown a Hub 5x is provided to customers in XGS areas as it's the only VM kit that has a fibre connection. That's fine, however, it appears modem mode is not (yet) supported...

Is the only option to double NAT? If so, I fear I may be wasting my time. I have my own kit and do not wish to use VM's poor excuse of a router (previous experience tells me it will be as useful as a chocolate fireguard).

Any suggestions appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Indeed, if the lack of modem mode really is a deal breaker, then you have no option.

Historically if you look back at forum posts, then there are claims that modem modem was coming ‘late 2023’, ‘early 2024’, 'first half of 2024’, but here we are in October and still no sign of it. One golden rule is sign up for or purchase something on the grounds of what it does NOW, not what it may do, or is promised to do in the future - assume that what it does now is what it will ever do, and you won’t be disappointed.

There are numerous posts on Reddit, or indeed on here by people claiming that they managed to get modem mode working on a 5x by ‘xyz’ method, proof, actual documented proof is somewhat lacking though!

Honestly work on the basis that if you sign up with VM, you will get a 5x, modem mode isn't available and possibly will never be available. Yes you will have a double-NAT issue if you use your own router. Can you work around this?

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Cardiffman282
Problem sorter

I suggest you cancel if it's a deal breaker for you as I sense no movement at all on modern mode. 

---------------
Cancel VM here
Complain to VM
here
Demand compensation from VM here
Demand your call recordings here
Monitor the state of your VM connection here

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

So many posts VM about modem mode what ever will you do?

Hub 5x WORKING modem mode : r/VirginMedia (reddit.com)

Try modem mode on the 1Gb port

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNN6PWDTxfs

---------------------------------------------------------------

Indeed, if the lack of modem mode really is a deal breaker, then you have no option.

Historically if you look back at forum posts, then there are claims that modem modem was coming ‘late 2023’, ‘early 2024’, 'first half of 2024’, but here we are in October and still no sign of it. One golden rule is sign up for or purchase something on the grounds of what it does NOW, not what it may do, or is promised to do in the future - assume that what it does now is what it will ever do, and you won’t be disappointed.

There are numerous posts on Reddit, or indeed on here by people claiming that they managed to get modem mode working on a 5x by ‘xyz’ method, proof, actual documented proof is somewhat lacking though!

Honestly work on the basis that if you sign up with VM, you will get a 5x, modem mode isn't available and possibly will never be available. Yes you will have a double-NAT issue if you use your own router. Can you work around this?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

I have to wonder if VM are doing this because there is no ARP protection on fibre then Docsis and their fix is NAT.😖

---------------------------------------------------------------