cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5x no DMZ and modem mode

Smokie365
Tuning in

Hi all,

Ive been reading up here an see that the modem mode is not available yet but I see al lot of people going the double NAT route using DMZ.

i decided to try that but noticed I don’t have DMZ option on mine. So I configured it anyway and it seemed to work for a day or two. Now my Unifi Dream machine is dropping connection every couple of minutes. I think it’s DNS but can’t get it working correctly. Anyone having a similar issue and got any advice?

20 REPLIES 20

Client62
Legend

The usual suggestion is operate Wi-Fi networks in Access Point mode thus avoiding double NAT.

Rumours are of Hub 5x gaining modem mode in 2024.  Rumours are not roadmaps.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Client62 wrote:

The usual suggestion is operate Wi-Fi networks in Access Point mode thus avoiding double NAT.

that will just make things worse

and where the hell is DMZ this is stupid if it don't have one it should be the other way round DMZ no port forwarding.  

---------------------------------------------------------------

The Wi-Fi AP mode suggested is not an option for me, I have a Unifi setup and don’t have that option. I could deal with double NAT until modem mode became available but with no DMZ option on my hub 5x I’m kind of screwed. 
surely someone here has the no DMZ option and has a work around??

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Think I would sue VM for not having a DMZ let alone no modem mode 

I fact let me put it this way if lets say VM are confident in not adding modem mode I would say do you support port forwarding to which they say no to which I say so you might as well remove it and I like to see them try.😈

---------------------------------------------------------------

Smokie365
Tuning in

Look I know it’s been talked about for a while and I’m sure the will bring out modem mode but like I’ve asked, is there anyone here that is in a similar situation? No DMZ option and needing to use there own hardware.

cavester
Tuning in

Yes, me.  I was one of the first customers to get this router that had no modem mode.  I too have expensive Unify kit with several access points cabled into the ceilings throughout the house.  Not to be able to have the external IP through to my unify controller but instead be double NAT is a pain in the backside.

But you have the DMZ option? I don’t have that option and I’m having a DNS resolving issue I think. Sometimes it works most times it doesn’t 

Smokie365
Tuning in

So I have been on the phone with tech support, I’m also based in Ireland but that’s shouldn’t make a difference. I’ve been advised that since we moved from coax to fiber there is no going back. IPv4 is not available on full fiber and modem mode is not available either. I need to get around this issue. 
ahhhh pulling my hair out!!

josel82
Joining in

Similar situation here. Although, when I signed up I made it clear I needed a router capable of working in Modem Mode, to which the sales rep replied "Sure sir, our router can do that", yet they send me the same crappy Hub 5.

I contact tech support and now they say "We are really sorry, your router is unable to do Modem Mode". This company is a Joke. It isn't that we are asking for too much, this is just a simple feature, we want to be able to use our own gear, Virgin routers are rubbish.