cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 - Compatitibly with TP-Link OneMesh

bitkeef
Joining in

Here: https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/intelligent-wifi

This states the Hub 3 can use mesh 'intelligent wifi' technology. 

However, when trying to use TPLink's onemesh (it is a AV1300 which I am going to use for wired and wifi in my office) 

The message states ;The Current Host Router Does Not SUpport OneMesh

I take it even if the hub 3 can have some mesh systems, it is not compatible with tplink 'onemesh' for some reason? 

Hard to find ant definitive information on this, seems like I may need to get  better wifi router and use the hub 3 in modem mode....

Any one using TPLink system with this hub? 

7 REPLIES 7

Client62
Alessandro Volta

I would have expected one AV1300 Power line adaptor to be connected via a network cable to the Hub 3 and another AV1300 Powerline adaptor ( with Wi-Fi ? )  to be installed in your office.  I'm unclear why the Powerline adaptors would require any connection to the VM Hub's Wi-Fi service.

VM Hub 3 "Intelligent Wi-Fi" aka "Smart Wi-Fi" are purely VM marketing terms i.e. not technology and certainly not an approved Wi-Fi standard that can be found in any documents or on other brands of Wi-Fi products.

All that is implied is use of a shared SSID and Auto Channels on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz - this option is purely to support the very limited capabilities of VM Pods.

We keep Smart Wi-Fi disabled as a Hub 3 performing random channel changes results in frequent Wi-Fi dropouts.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As noted above the "mesh" from VM is for their own proprietary mesh Wifi using the Pods and Hub's.  It will not work with any other mesh providers.  I would even suggest any mesh systems would be similar, i.e. not mixing TP-Link and ASUS.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

bitkeef
Joining in

Thanks all. Thought as much. I’ll likely upgrade the wifi router when I can and it will solve this issue. I’m also expanding house so good to do this year 

The powerline is in the office, I just changed to a  wifi powerline for wifi phone signal which is useful for mobile calls. its just different wifi details until i can mesh it with a new router

Client62
Alessandro Volta

If the Powerline adaptor in the office still has its out of the box Wi-Fi SSID + Password,  follow the instructions for connecting to the Powerline adaptor's web interface and change its broadcast SSID + Password to match the VM Hub.

Note :  Don't configure the Powerline adaptor's Wi-Fi to connect to the VM Hub's via Wi-Fi.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you are having work done on your home I would investigate having Ethernet cables run to as many locations as possible. Wired in wireless access points are always better for WiFi. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

I use ASUS AI-Mesh for WiFi propagation and Devolo Powerline for Ethernet to serve the V360 boxes & smart TVs.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)