cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Network Not Working After Unplugging / Replugging Ethernet Cable

ajcboone
Joining in

Hi, for reasons separate to the issue I unplugged an Ethernet cable from my Virgin Hub 5. This Ethernet cable was connected to a switch that connected to all the Ethernet ports in the house.

After plugging it back in, no ethernet sockets are working at all. All our other modems are not receiving the LAN. Is there something I'm missing in terms of setup where I need to reboot the router and toggle some specific setting? I don't think it's a hardware issue. Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Have you tried connecting a device without the switch ?

---------------------------------------------------------------

carl_pearce
Community elder

When you say 'no ethernet sockets are working at all' do you mean no devices are seeing a wired connection at all, or they are seeing a connection, however, do not have internet?

Have you rebooted the switch?

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

This needs a belt-and-braces approach.

1/

When you unplug an Ethernet cable from the hub, the hub doesn't care.  It should just continue chugging along.  QUESTION:  Does WiFi work, delivering Internet?

2/

You stated: All our other modems are not receiving the LAN.  What does that mean? Modems?  Presumably that's a typo and you mean devices connected top the switch. Right?

3/

Have you connected any wired device directly into the hub, ignoring the switch?

4/

Which switch model and what do its lights do when you plug it into the hub?  Have you repowered to switch (as in OFF/ON)?

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)