cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Wifi6 Router vs Mesh package ?

meber
Joining in

Hi,

I'm upgrading my Virgin Business Fibre Broadband this week and have been looking at options to improve our connections around the house, after putting up with poor powerline socket performance for waaaaay too long.

I'll be getting the Hitron Chita router with the upgrade to replace the CGNV4-BIZ I have now. The router is currently in a family room (housing an xbox and tv for the kids) and I already have ethernet cabling in the ground floor of the house running to my home office (for the work desktop pc) and to a living room (another tv). I have a number of other devices connected with ethernet via a Gigabit Desktop Switch (TP-LINK TL-SG1016D), and I've been using poweline sockets to feed the connection upstairs to a computer with a plex server - and for the older kids (we have 4 of the blighters) so they can connect their consoles as the wifi signal is poor in their rooms, wheras powerline is just about tolerable.

I'm looking at options to improve the wifi around the house and from reading around it seem like I can add a new Wifi-6 router (putting the Hitron in modem mode), which might be fine on its own or could be extended if it's mesh compatible, or I can get a dedicated mesh system / package. I'm guessing there will be a few black friday deals coming up, so was just looking to see whether those that had done similar could share any clear do's or don'ts / pros and cons I should be aware of. Any help appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

AIUI... the Hitron Hubs cannot be put into modem mode on most packages?

Someone else may know differently.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You would be far better just getting some good quality Wireless Access Points and hard wire them back to the VM router.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Dynamic Modem Only Mode User Guide | Virgin Media Business

get a router

---------------------------------------------------------------