cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t access WiFi or the Hub

MR1971
Tuning in

Hello, apologies now if this question has already been addressed but I’ve scrolled through previous post and I’m at a loss as what to do next. 

We’ve had issues with our WiFi connection, dropping 5G connection and everything assigned to the 5G is not automatically moving onto the WiFi without 5G. I hope this makes sense as Virgin altered our setting without our say so as originally we had one name fur our WiFi and then we assumed if 5G was available, devices would automatically connect to it from non 5G. Tell me if I’m wrong here won’t you?
Anyway, the 5G WiFi keeps dropping and the devices connection is then lost. I’ve tried to go into the hub but the password is incorrect. I’ve tried rebooting the router but it’s still stating ‘password incorrect’. 
Please could someone help me? 😬🤦🏼‍♀️

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A single SSID should be fine as devices should use whichever is best. Yes you are correct about the two bands - 2.4Ghz travels further but is slower and the opposite for 5Ghz. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What Hub model is it.... Hub3/4/5/5x ?

First thing is to get the password back - do this.

Do a Hub “pinhole reset” - first make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! With the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press the reset pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it firmly for at least 60 (a timed sixty) seconds, release the pin, leave for 5’ to stabilise - dont manually switch it off at any time. Passwords and SSID’s will reset to those on the sticker so log in and change them back to what they were/want them to be.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

It’s a Hub 3.0. Thanks for the info! I’ll try this and let you know.  If it works and I can access through the hub, will all the devices need to be added again? 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you login and change the SSID name(s?) and wifi password back to what you routinely use - then they should all just reconnect fine.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I’m just looking at rebooting my router and thought I would switch the WiFi off my devices first. I’ve noticed the 5G connection is working!?  I don’t know what to do now! Why us working now but not in the evening? How is it connected now but not recognised in the evening? I’m very confused. 🫤 any suggestions would be much appreciated. 😊

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you just clarify for us... when you say 5G do you mean the mobile phone 5G network and not the Hubs 5GHz wifi wavelength ?

If the mobile network... then it should work on that once the 5GHz wavelength is switched off.

Do you have normally have the two wifi frequencies on separate SSID's or merged into one?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I’ve managed to reset and log in to the Hub, reset my password and change to just one WiFi name.  I’m assuming the network automatically changes the connection to devices when a wavelength drops and loses connection. Is that right? Or do I need to add a second WiFi name with 5GHz on it as previously. 

Sorry, I meant 5GHz not 5G. 
Originally, we had one SSID but Virgin changed it to two and we only realised when we started having issues with devices connected to the 5GHz loosing connection. 

Sorry for all the questions.

Anyway, you have been really helpful and you’ve saved me a whole lot of time waiting on the phone. Thank you 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A single SSID should be fine as devices should use whichever is best. Yes you are correct about the two bands - 2.4Ghz travels further but is slower and the opposite for 5Ghz. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks