Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Best router for Hub 3 modem mode?

Among the experts on this forum, can I ask what is the best performing router to work with a Virgin Hub 3.0 set in Modem Mode so that the broadband passes through the virgin hub and is then transmitted by a more sophisticated and better performing router? Hope that makes sense?

I was looking at a Netgear Nighthawk X6 but then i see many forums saying that the wi-fi seizes up every few days needing a hard reset. Thx in advance.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Best router for Hub 3 modem mode?

I and a lot of others use the ASUS brand; a range of well spec’d routers that differ only in their WiFi capabilities.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Springer1
Dialled in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have an Asus 66,  not a expert here, but am pleased to report that my hair is now growing back, lost while suffering a stock hub 3 thing. lol ..........

Tuning in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

ok so some more google searching and yes indeed Asus looks like the winner in terms of positive reviews and minimal issues or cries for help...

I'm looking at the Asus RT-AC3200 as ideally don;t wish to spend over £200 but are there any experts here that would argue a better alternative? specifically to work with Hub 3.0?

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I would consider the specs and number of wireless clients you wish to connect.

The Asus RT-AC3200 is a Tri band router which has two 5Ghz radios, which is great if you have a lot a 5Ghz clients connecting the same time. but not much use if your 5 Ghz requirements are modest. In this case a cheaper Dual band router may suit your requirements better.

The RT-AC3200 is pretty high specced with 3 antennae on both 5Ghz band and 4 on the 2.4Ghz band. To get full benefits of the higher spec your wireless clients need to match the same spec.

As said, the Asus is a well repected brand and all fibre versions should work with the Hub 3 with the minimum of configuration, it is just a question of budget and your requirements.

jbrennand
Wise owl
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/networks/wireless-routers/1403819/best-wireless-routers-improve-your-...

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes, Superhub2 with VIVID 200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
MarieTW681
Joining in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

https://badmodems.com/Forum/app.php/badmodems

Full list of bad modems here
0 Kudos
tonycv51
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@865178 wrote:

ok so some more google searching and yes indeed Asus looks like the winner in terms of positive reviews and minimal issues or cries for help...

I'm looking at the Asus RT-AC3200 as ideally don;t wish to spend over £200 but are there any experts here that would argue a better alternative? specifically to work with Hub 3.0?

All will be good but look at Asus AC86U  - now about £160.  Newer CPU than the other Asus Routers, newer wi-fi chips etc. but not so new that you're at the bleeding edge firmware wise https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33158-asus-rt-ac86u-dual-band-ac2900-wirel...

0 Kudos
Tudor
Community elder
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Are you only looking to improve your WiFi or for extra facilities and many connected cable devices? If it’s mainly WiFi you wish to improve all you really want is a very good Wireless Access Point and it would cost a lot less than £160/£200. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
Cheule
Up to speed
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I have the RT-AC3200 and since installation it's not missed a beat, been up 42 days solid now.

Vivid 350 - Superhub 3 modem mode --> RT-AC3200
0 Kudos