cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are my downstream/upstream powers okay? I am experiencing high download/upload latency

henry98
Joining in

Hi all, I've been facing issues with my wifi recently where my connection drops. The speeds are a little bit lower than expected sometimes, but the main issue is the intermittent wifi. Sometimes pages do not load, my connections drop, and I disconnecting from online games (other examples from games include an unstable ping). When I go to Speed Test, I can see that my idle latency is good, but my upload and download latencies spike and sometimes stay abnormally high (three digits).

I've called up VM and they've ran through the test of testing the download and upload speeds, which of course came back fine. Unsurprisingly, they said that nothing is wrong, as a result and that there's not much we can do apart from move closer to the router (I am a few meters away from the route in the next room), using ethernet, and factory resetting.

I'm considering getting a third-party router in hopes to fix it but I do remember that in a previous household I've lived in, I had my power levels checked. Are mine okay?

Thanks in advance!

11 REPLIES 11

henry98
Joining in

Hi all,

Just an update on the appointment:

The engineer carried out some diagnostics and he put an attenuator(?) onto the Hub. He said that he thinks it's a different issue though and we might not see much improvement, even with the attenuator now attached. He said that it's not his department which can fix the issue so he said that he/VM will message us to book the next engineer visit

Thanks for coming back to us henry98. How has your connection been running since the visit?

Kind Regards,

Steven_L