cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access to my hosting server at 123-reg

skhandekar
Tuning in

I have Virgin HUB 5 and trying to connect to the web hosting server on 123-reg.

It gives an error
'Your connection is not private'. 
'This server could not prove that it is host.secureserver.net; its security certificate is from *.prod.lg.securingsam.com. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection.
Proceed to host.secureserver.net (unsafe)'

I can access the website, FTP files to the server using FILEZILLA. But when trying to access the hosting space, get above error. When using the hotspot from mobile, I can successfully access the hosting space, implying that there is no issues with 123-reg.

On Virgin media connect app, when I try to access the hosting space, it flashes a message in 'Recently blocked threats' - Online protection with severity 'Low', 'Prevents you accessing known fraudulent websites or being re-directed to sites that could compromise your data' - which suggests VIRGIN media has blocked access.

I have switched off 'virus safe' in my account, hoping it will bypass this check. But error persists.

Any suggestions on what I can do please - thanks

The hosting server link starts with - 'https://host.secureserver.net/webhosting/cpanel/account/.......' 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you enabled Smart Security; check status via Connect app's Home screen?

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

Client62
Legend

Try with your computer using a Public DNS like Google DNS 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4
This is to be quite sure the VM Web Safe filters are out of the frame (as opposed to just look to be turned off).  

skhandekar
Tuning in

Thanks for taking time to reply.

Tried Google DNS / Public DNS. Doesn't work. Guess, somehow need to get hold of someone relevant in Virgin Media. Any chance, you know the right contact point, perhaps from your past experience, to get certain URL/IP removed from the filters ? 

Client62
Legend

For false positives from Web Safe one needs to email the details to : websafefeedback@virginmedia.co.uk

However when using the Google DNS you totally bypass the VM Web Safe (Virus Safe and Childs Safe) filters.

Hub 5 in Router mode did have some reports that the DNS lookups timed out for some sites,
this could be tested with an NSLOOKUP command & observe if the expected IP is returned or the lookup fails. 

skhandekar
Tuning in

I contacted VM through their chat support and I was told following -

'I checked for this information and I see that the URL is listed as blocked from UK government so as this is blocked by UK government it is not possible to view access through virgin media broadband connection.'

'I am really sorry to inform that, there are certain IP addresses and links which are restricted by UK government for all the broadband service providers due to the risk and threat they contain, as you said you are able to access it from mobile data, I request you to use mobile date for such links or IP addresses.'

Really, this is a GoDaddy server, which I can use from mobile which is O2 - which is VM.

😭

Client62
Legend

I smell a hundred and one dalmatians rats in that chat support explanation.

Both VM's home & business internet service and O2's  GSM mobile data service
are required to fully comply with UK Government IP blocking orders.

skhandekar
Tuning in

Thanks for your support. I have written to VIRGIN to see if it is blocked/black listed.

Meanwhile I tried the nslookup and there is something that says 'uk-blockpage' which makes me think this could be VIRGIN's validation issue. I will post the resolution later if they come back with anything. Apologies if I repeat some things, as I am not very techie.  

The web hosting commented that - 'This means that there may be a VPN/Firewall blocking the connection on that network' which was mentioned by yourself as well.

skhandekar_0-1712662994221.png

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you enabled Smart Security; check status via Connect app's Home screen?

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

Client62
Legend

The host named  uk-blockpage...   is the DNS that is failing to perform the name lookup of your host.
Try specifying a different DNS for your nslookup such as the VM DNS 194.168.4.100 (results below) or Google Public DNS 8.8.8.8 (also resolves your host name to two IPs )

C:\Users\Philip>nslookup host.secureserver.net
Server: cache1.service.virginmedia.net
Address: 194.168.4.100

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: wingcorepx-hcx-spa-shell-prod.wingcorepx-prod.prod.onkatana.net
Addresses: 44.237.12.134
Aliases: host.secureserver.net

skhandekar
Tuning in

skhandekar_0-1712765034165.png

Hope this is what you meant.