cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Change my Package" Utter Confusion!

mell349
Joining in

Hi there, 

I've been a Virgin customer for years (ever since Blueyonder ran the service in these parts) and I've been happy with the service. In recent years, however,  the cost has become a problem, so I looked at possibly swapping my package for a lower-cost one. 

I currently pay nearly £60/month for the M250 Broadband package.

Today I logged into Virgin saw the massive "It's Time To Change Your Package" message and clicked on it. That gave me several options, all of which were significantly cheaper than my current payment... Until I click on them. 

I clicked on the "M500 Fibre Broadband" package (listed as £45.00* a month) to add it to the basket. The basket then tells me that the monthly total will be £52.00 and in 19 months it will be £72.00 (an inflation rate that seems extortionate, incidentally).

So, I'm given 3 different prices. I'm also told I will be charged for "Broadband Installation" which is already installed and there is no actual calculation of how the price has jumped from the initial £45 advertised to the £52 now in the basket. 

What is more worrying than this is that going onto the Virgin Media website and looking at what I can get at my home, I am informed that there is currently a deal for £27/month for the M250 package which should cost (according to the crossed out price) £32.50 per month and that the price at month 19 should be £55... Which is still cheaper than I'm paying at the moment. 

And, in fact, for £45/month, I should be able to get the "Gig1 Fibre Broadband" package... Still less than I'm paying at the moment. 

Here's the real problem though. From 14 Feb 2020, companies have been under an obligation to tell you when your contract’s up, and what their best deals are.

Anyone who is already out of contract must also be reminded they are out of contract and told every year about their firm’s best deals... Best deals, mark you.

Further to that, Virgin Media did commit, in 2020, to reduce prices automatically for customers who are out of contract.

Now, not only is this bad for me but I have no idea what the actual prices are if I want to change my contract. I also appear to not be offered the company's best deals and I certainly haven't had my prices automatically reduced to the level of service I am actually receiving...

Of course, that assumes that the prices listed on the main website are correct, but therein lies a bigger question. If those prices are not correct, that is a breach of the law, not just, potentially, Ofcom rules. It should be noted that the prices displayed on the main website say there is "No setup fee." So where has this "Broadband Installation" come from in my basket?

So, realistically, what are my options?
Can anyone help resolve this?
Should I go to Ofcom?

This practice doesn't seem right and even if it is resolved for me, it won't be resolved for anyone else. I just can't help thinking of my 83-year-old mum trying to navigate something like this, getting confused and ending up paying over the odds for something she will never use. 

3 REPLIES 3

Daniel_Et
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @mell349 👋 Thank you for your post and welcome to the Virgin Media Community 😀

We're sorry to hear about the poor experience you've had and that you feel this way 😔

As with all providers, we have introductory offers for new customers. At the start of all our customers' time with us, they'll have benefited from such a deal. Once this expires, we'll always do all we can to offer the best existing customer deal available.

We also send out an end-of-contract notification to all our customers before their minimum agreed term comes to an end, highlighting both the new package price and any other offers that may be of interest.

We're always happy to review your package and cost to help find one that best suits your needs and budget. This doesn't always mean a downgrade.

If you'd like to discuss your package and the options that are currently available to you, please call 150 (free of charge) from a Virgin Media landline or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone.

We also have a variety of other ways to contact us for help or support, and I've listed a few below for you.

WhatsApp: +44 7305 327 112
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/virginmedia
Twitter: https://twitter.com/virginmedia

Regards,
Daniel

mell349
Joining in

I’m sorry Daniel, but I don’t think this is good enough. You’ve not responded to the inconsistencies in prices on your backend, that you are under some obligation to offer long-term customers BEST prices (in part this was brought in to stop the unfairness of introductory deals) or that you should be automatically reducing costs, or your commitment under the Ofcom rules to notify people EVERY YEAR, not just at the end of contracts. 

I’m looking for a reason to not contact Ofcom, because (as I have said) I’m happy with the service overall, but I am very concerned with this. 

Please give our team a call as advised @mell349, to discuss the packages available to you and if you're not happy with the prices of the service, you can raise a complaint live on the call and this can then be reviewed by a manager to see if a new price can be agreed.

We would however advise that our prices on our website are exclusive to new customers and all customers are entitled to a new customer deal upon entry into the business.

This is common practice in the telecommunications industry, with alternative providers also undertaking similar or the same business tactic

Thanks,

David_Bn