Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

moving abroad

jean6
Joining in

hello

i signed a 18 month contract for home phone and broad band in march this year

i am emigrating abroad in november. how do i cancell with no exit fees.

ive read an article

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2022/02/virgin-media-o2-uk-scraps-exit

Virgin said the hugely welcome move could save customers “up to £240“, which is nothing to sniff about, particularly as it occurs during a time when the cost of moving has just hit a record high. Unless, of course, you were hit with this charge just before today’s announcement – that’s no doubt going to be annoying, but somebody somewhere will always get caught out like that.

The only catch is that customers will need to provide proof of their new address with a wide range of readily-available documents accepted, including mortgage and rental agreements, utility bills, bank statements and driving licenses. Otherwise, any old person could fake a house move in order to exit their contract early and penalty-free (we suspect some individuals may still try to abuse this)

is this correct

thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You won’t be able to cancel without early disconnection charges.

The waiving of these charges only applies if you move to an area not serviced within the UK.

https://www.virginmedia.com/legal/fibre-optic-services-terms-conditions/early-disconnection-fees

“If you’re moving outside our network area but still within the UK and give us some valid evidence of your new address, we’ll credit you back the early disconnection fee.”

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

jean6
Joining in

hello

i signed a 18 month contract for home phone and broad band in march this year

i am emigrating abroad in november. how do i cancell with no exit fees.

ive read an article

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2022/02/virgin-media-o2-uk-scraps-exit

Virgin said the hugely welcome move could save customers “up to £240“, which is nothing to sniff about, particularly as it occurs during a time when the cost of moving has just hit a record high. Unless, of course, you were hit with this charge just before today’s announcement – that’s no doubt going to be annoying, but somebody somewhere will always get caught out like that.

The only catch is that customers will need to provide proof of their new address with a wide range of readily-available documents accepted, including mortgage and rental agreements, utility bills, bank statements and driving licenses. Otherwise, any old person could fake a house move in order to exit their contract early and penalty-free (we suspect some individuals may still try to abuse this)

is this correct

thank you

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You won’t be able to cancel without early disconnection charges.

The waiving of these charges only applies if you move to an area not serviced within the UK.

https://www.virginmedia.com/legal/fibre-optic-services-terms-conditions/early-disconnection-fees

“If you’re moving outside our network area but still within the UK and give us some valid evidence of your new address, we’ll credit you back the early disconnection fee.”

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @jean6

Good morning and thanks for posting on our community forum and a big warm welcome with this being your first post. 

Sorry to hear you're looking to leave us, as advised by the very helpful Ernie_C we'll be unable to waive the early disconnection fees as this does only apply if you're moving to an area we do not currently service within the United Kingdom. 

My apologies for any inconvenience this may cause

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

You seem to be wrong. I just called Virgin Media and I was informed that if I move abroad in September 2023 (I am on 18-month contract), I won't have to pay the early cancellation fee.

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

So, you’ve had three opinions and choose to take the one which suits what you want.

Get ready for having to pay those charges.

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sorry there was a fourth source which I will re-quote:

If you’re moving outside our network area but still within the UK and give us some valid evidence of your new address, we’ll credit you back the early disconnection fee.’

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The early termination fee will be applied if moving overseas.

Info below from https://www.virginmedia.com/legal/early-disconnection-fees 

The Virgin Media network does not cover all of the UK – please use our post code checker by clicking here to check availability. If you move outside our network area during your minimum period, you might have to pay an early disconnection fee for ending your contract early.

If you’re moving outside our network area but still within the UK and give us some valid evidence of your new address, we’ll credit you back the early disconnection fee. When submitting your disconnection request, our team will explain the next steps and you’ll get a request for valid proof of your new UK address. If we get this back within 30 days and it’s validated, we’ll apply a credit to the value of your early disconnection fee to your account.

The same information is also within section N of VM Terms_and_Conditions 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi lucas_k147

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. Sorry for the confusion but allow me to confirm. If moving abroad, there will be an early disconnection fee. 

Best wishes,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Carrie95
Tuning in

Okay 'very insightful person' 😂 what happens then if you're moving to Sweden with work and personal details are confidential due to your line of work?