cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to M500

Andy70g
Joining in

Good evening, guys.
I got a call this afternoon from a lovely girl, working for Virgin Media, who offered me to upgrade my contract, based on M250 Fibre Broadband, to a brand new M500.
With the upgrade I'd receive a brand new Media Hub 5, a O2 SIM card with unlimited calls and 10 GB's of Internet traffic and unlimited calls on the landline.
As of now I pay 51 pounds a month, but with the price hike just around the corner, I'd be charged 55.85.
With this new contract I'd pay 59 pounds a month.
The offer was really interesting but in the end I turned it down because I don't like to make deals on the phone.
I decided to double check on the Virgin Media website and I found out there's a similar offer for 58 pounds a month, with no SIM card included though, which does not bother me at all.
There's one thing I didn't get; the summary, before placing the order, says: "Monthly total £58.12**
Current monthly price from month 15 >> £70.12.
The remainder of your original 18 month minimum term applies".
Does that mean that I will pay £58.12 for the first 15 months of the contract and £70.12 for the final three?
What do you think about the offer itself?
I currently have 260Mbps in the house with a very old Hub 3 and the signal actually strong in the living room only.
Thank you very much for your help.

17 REPLIES 17

unisoft
Well-informed

@Andy70g wrote:

Good evening, guys.
I got a call this afternoon from a lovely girl, working for Virgin Media, who offered me to upgrade my contract, based on M250 Fibre Broadband, to a brand new M500.
With the upgrade I'd receive a brand new Media Hub 5, a O2 SIM card with unlimited calls and 10 GB's of Internet traffic and unlimited calls on the landline.
As of now I pay 51 pounds a month, but with the price hike just around the corner, I'd be charged 55.85.
With this new contract I'd pay 59 pounds a month.
The offer was really interesting but in the end I turned it down because I don't like to make deals on the phone.
I decided to double check on the Virgin Media website and I found out there's a similar offer for 58 pounds a month, with no SIM card included though, which does not bother me at all.
There's one thing I didn't get; the summary, before placing the order, says: "Monthly total £58.12**
Current monthly price from month 15 >> £70.12.
The remainder of your original 18 month minimum term applies".
Does that mean that I will pay £58.12 for the first 15 months of the contract and £70.12 for the final three?
What do you think about the offer itself?
I currently have 260Mbps in the house with a very old Hub 3 and the signal actually strong in the living room only.
Thank you very much for your help.

As you wrote it, I took it to mean:

15 months @ £58.12

remaining 16,17,18 @ £70.12

Perhaps VM staff will magic up some other explanation....

Cardiffman282
Super solver

I'd ignore cold calls (even official ones like this one). It seems what you really need is better wifi reach. I'd get your own router instead and stick the hub in modem mode. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Andy7g

Thanks for posting in regards to the recent offer you received and to let us know of the wireless network issues. We appreciate you taking the time to raise this via the forums and welcome to the community.

In regards to the offer it is pretty much as @unisoft has advised, the first 15 months would be charged at £58.12 with each of the final 3 months being charged at £70.12. Nothing to 'Magic Up' there.....

In relation to the wireless network issues, we have taken a look at the connection and equipment and there does seem to be some power level issues but they're not massively out of spec. Please reboot the Hub and let us know so we can check to see if this helps with the issue, if not we can arrange a visit if required.

Rob

Andy70g
Joining in

Thanks everybody, especially Robert, for replying and getting back to me.
Everything is pretty clear now; there's just one final question I'd like to ask: if I switch to the M500 offer, would I get the new Virgin Media Hub 5?
Could you please confirm?
Thanks again...

Hi Andy70g,

You would need to be on 1Gig to receive a Hub 5.

We apologise for any disappointment caused. 

Please let us know how the reboot goes and we can arrange an engineer if needed. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Andy70g
Joining in

Hi, Vikki, the router is still misbehaving: I've rebooted and reset it, yet a few minutes ago it said that my macbook IP address had been duplicated on the network (another computer was using the same address).
I'm seriously thinking about downgrading my VM3 to modem and buy a proper router.

gilbo2
Dialled in

If it was me, the last 3 month charges of £70.12 would be a deal breaker and I'd walk away. I'd also evaluate if I really needed the extra speed and O2 SIM.

Hi Andy70g,

We can't see any issues from our side, can you try a reset of the hub and let us know if you continue to have problems.

Alex_Rm

Hi, Alex, thanks for your swift reply.
To be honest, I've reset the hub several times and this annoying issue (two hosts sharing the same IP address) comes out every time.
The implementation of the DHCP in the VM Hub 3 has always been faulty and buggy, so it doesn't surprise me at all.
Just to double check, I've installed a Linux script that checks for potential IP conflicts in my LAN/WLAN and the result is that everything is alright.