cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still a broadband customer but need external TV cable removed

amckeeuk
Joining in

Hello, been a full package customer for 3 years but no longer require TV and switched to Broadband only. I have fibre to the house and there is a black cable right around the front of my house to take a TV feed to a room at the side. Can I remove this cable myself, (there is a 4 way splitter in the brown box, with 2 sockets used one of which is broadband and the other this long TV feed) or do I need Virgin to come and remove, happy to pay a modest fee but removal looks straight forward although would need a tap for the socket when cable removed (can that be purchased) Even if I take TV in a future contract I won't want it in this room so the cable removal is permanent. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Number-6
On our wavelength

Personally, what I would do is to simply disconnect the ‘long TV feed’ cable from the four way splitter and see what happens. Is your internet connection fine? Leave it for a week or so, is it still fine? If so then simply remove all the redundant cabling yourself.

Strictly speaking the unused port on the splitter should be terminated with a 75ohm, male F-type terminator (available on all good on-line, marketplaces), but the underlaying systems aren’t as fragile as might be claimed - it’ll probably be fine.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @amckeeuk 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. Normally we don't remove the cabling but I'll send you a PM, get some details and then can liaise with the Field Manager as you've said about needing the tap socket to complete the process.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Number-6
On our wavelength

Personally, what I would do is to simply disconnect the ‘long TV feed’ cable from the four way splitter and see what happens. Is your internet connection fine? Leave it for a week or so, is it still fine? If so then simply remove all the redundant cabling yourself.

Strictly speaking the unused port on the splitter should be terminated with a 75ohm, male F-type terminator (available on all good on-line, marketplaces), but the underlaying systems aren’t as fragile as might be claimed - it’ll probably be fine.

amckeeuk
Joining in

Everything sorted, thanks @Number-6, as it turned out @John_GS from the forum team did a brilliant job, he contacted the local field team and after I removed the cable from the wall, an engineer arrived today and removed the cable from the splitter and added the terminator. Must say the help and turnaround from Virgin Media has been excellent - nice job!