cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retention offer, what a joke

xpath
Tuning in

today i wanted to discuss my account as im on 60mpbs  - now costing me £41 pm

so retentions offered me 126mbbs for 28pm.  I was thinking this must be a bad joke - I have been a customer for 21 years, come on Virgin media please offer me something better than that.  do I really have to actually go through with a full Cancellation this time or is it not worth the effort? 

4 REPLIES 4

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You won't get much cheaper than £28 elsewhere.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

There are plenty of new full fibre providers coming to the market with offers well below what Virgin has... I have been a customer for 22 years, from the time of NTL and 600kb/s speeds, now I am moving away as the provider laying fibre on my street is finally fully operational. I am getting 900mb/s symmetric fibre for £25, compared to the £56 for 350mb/s that Virgin wants to extort from me...

So shop around, today nearly every provider can offer you at least 70mb/s for a very decent price, if this is what works for you.

unisoft
Well-informed

@xpath wrote:

today i wanted to discuss my account as im on 60mpbs  - now costing me £41 pm

so retentions offered me 126mbbs for 28pm.  I was thinking this must be a bad joke - I have been a customer for 21 years, come on Virgin media please offer me something better than that.  do I really have to actually go through with a full Cancellation this time or is it not worth the effort? 

You have to go through a full cancellation to get them to ring back with better offers. New customers have had that deal for £23 regular as clockwork, and VM retentions have always said a "loyalty" deal is better than a new customer deal. Not my words, but been told that on the phone before with retentions.

You'd need to go in with "unless a better review of my package is done, I wish to cancel all my services by giving the 30 day notice". If you use words like "thinking of leaving" or "seeing what my options are" - the VM agent will smell weakness (they are trained on this as it involves money).

Have a polite chat and tell them why you don't feel like you get value. Anything in your package you don't want or use, then tell them. For example, previously, I didn't use my v6 box as stuck in front room. I prefer using the box for an hour or so before bed, so Stream was better for me as could be used anywhere in house as WiFi not coax dependent. The TV package had to end first with 30 days notice, but the Stream was added later. I was then in control of my tv subscriptions as they are 30 days only on Stream and I was much happier with Stream than v6 box.

Make sure your My Virgin Media portal has marketing enabled else they won't ring you back or text you better offers.

Hope this helps and good luck with getting a review of your package and hopefully better pricing.

thanks for that,  but having done the "iam leaving you dance" several times over many years it seams that this time they just don't give a rats behind.  it should not take having to Cancel the services in order to get better rates.

could you Imagine if you said to tesco that you are going on hunger strike if do not set your food prices to be the same with out having to have a dumb "Club card"     they would go mehhh what ever dude/dudeet....