cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone disconnected by Virgin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Entered into a 30 day notice period on 30/10/23,immediately the phone was disconnected.Reported the issue to Virgin after spending hours on mobile and spending all my credit.Engineer turned up today 7/11/23,spent ten minutes attempting to fix but was unable to do so.Our contract ends on 29/11/23 so for the next three weeks we are without landline.Engineer says it’s a tech issue and is impossible to fix!.So much for technology.I’m expecting a huge refund from Virgin,the question is will I get it?.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Suggest you keep very detailed records on all of this VM bungling. In addition to your own issue, I have noted 7 other recent topics on here where VM has disconnected services (typically the phone line) immediately instead of providing them during the 30 day cancellation window.

If VM is going to cancel a service on you, VM has to give you 30 days notice of the cancellation. In the meantime you have a total loss of service of your phone so you should be eligible for compensation under the automatic compensation scheme IMO

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/automatic-compensation

until such time as your phone is restored.

In all likelihood VM will try to dodge any responsibility for this mistake so you will very likely have to go to arbitration to get a suitable pay-out.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello Oldmanriver

We're really sorry to hear your landline has been cut off prior to your actual disconnection, we understand the frustration.

What did the technician advise during the visit? You mentioned he advised it was a tech issue, did they advise of the next steps or who they would raise it to?

In regards to a refund, we would cover the cost of the landline service for the time you have been without it till the end date of your contract if we aren't able to reconnect it prior to that date.

Rob

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Suggest you keep very detailed records on all of this VM bungling. In addition to your own issue, I have noted 7 other recent topics on here where VM has disconnected services (typically the phone line) immediately instead of providing them during the 30 day cancellation window.

If VM is going to cancel a service on you, VM has to give you 30 days notice of the cancellation. In the meantime you have a total loss of service of your phone so you should be eligible for compensation under the automatic compensation scheme IMO

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/automatic-compensation

until such time as your phone is restored.

In all likelihood VM will try to dodge any responsibility for this mistake so you will very likely have to go to arbitration to get a suitable pay-out.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the info,will keep a record of what’s going on,also try and contact Virgin today and discuss the fiasco with the technician.

thanks.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Is the missing phone number, on the cancelled line, one which you were hoping to port to another provider after VM?

If your phone line has been disconnected, and VM is not the range holder of the phone number, it is likely you will be in a race against time to restore the connection and recover the number to avoid the number being lost to you.

Hi @Anonymous 

Thanks for coming back to us.

I'll send you a PM now to assist further.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply,technician simply stated that due to the complication of the system he was unable to re connect,he tried connecting to the router without success,then suggested we go into a new contract under a different name ie Mr. Instead of Mrs.Wev’e since been in touch with the Virgin ‘virtual assistant’ and they have offered us £10 compensation which has not been accepted as this is not in line with the automatic compensation rates.Phone has now been off for 8 days and according to the technician will be off until 29/11/23 which is our contract end date so we will have been off for all of the 30 days.Hope this is what you need.

Thanks for the update @Anonymous. 👋🏼

I'm sorry to hear about the poor experience you've had so far and that the service is not back. 😞
You may wish to speak with my colleague privately in the private message he has sent and see if there's anything he can do to assist.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes we were hoping to transfer to the new provider.Wev’e been with Virgin for over 20 years with the same number,no idea about the range holder but assume it’s one of VM.

Thanks for the reply @Anonymous.

Did you move within the same area or a different area as the area codes may differ?
Have the home move team advised of when the landline will transfer over?

Or have you moved within the same area and were told the landline will come with you?

Let us know and we can support further.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs