cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New contract without my permission

Krzysztof73
Tuning in

On January this year I start being bombarding by virgin media about my current contract will go to the and it's a best time to upgrade my package and I have been offered new higher broadband speed for little bit more monthly costs. I was happy with that as I thought it's a just upgrade with new monthly payments out of contract. Unfortunately Virgin media not only upgraded package but they put me in new 18 months contract which I absolutely not agree. Now when I told them I would like to left they service they tried to charge me over 600 pound upfront pay. To clarify there wasn't any new cables or router installed. They just upgrade broadband speed, but I'm found it's still not suitable for me that's why I decided to change provider. It's a absolutely ridiculous that they put me on new contract without my permission. I was sure it's just upgrade service I will be able to finish this with 30 days notice without any additional fees as my contract was completed. How to resolve this problem as I'm as normal customer can't be charged 600 pounds for cancellation new contract which was created by them when I was only agree to upgrade broadband speed.

14 REPLIES 14

Alby41
Up to speed

Go to My Virgin Media ... have a close look at your actual legal contract ... see what it says or " now says " then you can be clear on your deal ... sounds dodgy to me.... and one has to absolutely sure on what shenanigans have been created... attempted or not.... here in effort for alleged financial gain ... keep us all posted ...just sayin 😊

patier
Tuning in

welcome to the party pal lol

i am on 3 different packages at the ;moment after doing exactly

what you did .cancel all your direct debits because they can just take money out; at lleasts that way they have to talk to you and they can't steal your money.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Krzysztof73 👋

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

I am sorry for the poor experience. 

When you make a change to your package, such as an upgrade, you are essentially taking out a new contract. 

You would have also received a contract summary sheet which advised it would be an 18 month contract. 

If you wish to cancel now whilst the contract is in effect, an early disconnection fees would be valid.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

You would have also received a contract summary sheet which advised it would be an 18 month contract. 

That's what you said it's a illegally action taken by Virgin media. You provided now I have been put on new contract which I do not agree. That's was done from one way. I mean by Virgin media. I agree only to upgrade my package and I haven't been told this will be new contract between me and Virgin media.

Yes, correct the contract CIS documents would advise this and you also had a 14 day cooling off period to cancel the upgrade at that point. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

Unfortunately this wasn't cleared explain. I have been just offering to upgrade my package. Not offer new contract. This is two different types of offers. And I can't be hold by virgin media like in a prison and just forced to pay over 600£ for service cancellation . And there is also explanation by Ofcom that's in last year they did investigation about procedures when someone would like to change provider.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/bulletins/enforcement-bulletin/open-cases/cw_01275

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The significant point is, did you actually accept the new contract, or did they just apply it without your permission.

If there is no evidence that you accepted it, you may have a case that the contract is not valid. But without legal advice there is little you can do. It would be worth having a word with Citizens Advice, since this has happened before and they will know if you have a case.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

I can raise this as a complaint @Krzysztof73 

Will pop you a PM 📩 now and we can take it from there.

Thanks

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

I feel your pain, they just do what they like