cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DD increase today but no communication on why

Mike9299
Tuning in

My direct debit paid today was a fair amount more than usual. I was informed of this amount as per monthly advice but didn't know why (extra phone charge maybe?).  My billing/contract details still show the amount before the 9% increase in April. I also see that the contract will go up by a 77% increase on this figure (63% increase on current payment from April), which seems ridiculous in the light of past increases.

I've received no communication whatsoever on any changes, either to my contract or its cost and can't see from my account what has happened here.  Previously during my 16 year tenure with Virgin I've always received advance communication on any changes.  Due to impaired hearing, a phone call is a difficult option and a previous enquiry was handled successfully via this forum. 

The proposed increase on top of the last one seems out of all proportion and our usage has not changed in years. I'd be grateful if you could clarify what has happened and offer suggestions/advice.

Thank you,

M. a. Reed

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Mike9299 

You should receive an email each month advising, 'Your latest Virgin Media bill is now ready and waiting for you online.'  It should also detail the amount due.  This is always sent to your contact email address which is usually different to the account (My Virgin Media) email address. 

You may not receive these emails if you haven't marked Virgin Media as a safe sender - in that case it's very possible that the VM emails are treat as junk and automatically moved to your spam/junk folder.  You can always check and update your contact email address if desired when logging into My Virgin Media.

If the bill was higher than usual due to the annual price rise then there would have been additional text on the email advice such as, ' Your bill may be higher this month due to the April 2024 price rise taking effect. To see if you're affected, visit April 2024 Price Rise for your price details.'

Your email advising when the next payment is due and that your reduced contract is ending soon would detail the new cost and look similar to the one shown at the bottom of this message. 

VM do offer other methods to either negotiate a new deal or cancel rather than speaking on the phone, however they do take longer as phone calls take priority.

You could try the live messenger chat on the following page

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/leaving 

You can also speak to the team in a messenger format using WhatsApp on 0780 3089 684. 

Clipboard01.jpg

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Perhaps a recent discount has come to an end?  You need to check your current contract.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Cardiffman282
Problem sorter

Mike you had a similar thread a couple of years ago https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Increase-in-monthly-charge-despite-having-a-fixed...

---------------
Cancel VM here
Complain to VM
here
Demand compensation from VM here
Demand your call recordings here
Monitor the state of your VM connection here

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Mike9299,

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear there's some confusion with the billing. 

Any discounts and promotions you may have would be detailed on your bill each month for you to view. Have you checked the bill to see. We do also send a notification to confirm the end of your contract.

Package changes aren't something we do via this forum, but you can speak to the team on 150/ 0345 454 1111 and they'll be happy to take a closer look.

Alex_Rm

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Mike9299 

You should receive an email each month advising, 'Your latest Virgin Media bill is now ready and waiting for you online.'  It should also detail the amount due.  This is always sent to your contact email address which is usually different to the account (My Virgin Media) email address. 

You may not receive these emails if you haven't marked Virgin Media as a safe sender - in that case it's very possible that the VM emails are treat as junk and automatically moved to your spam/junk folder.  You can always check and update your contact email address if desired when logging into My Virgin Media.

If the bill was higher than usual due to the annual price rise then there would have been additional text on the email advice such as, ' Your bill may be higher this month due to the April 2024 price rise taking effect. To see if you're affected, visit April 2024 Price Rise for your price details.'

Your email advising when the next payment is due and that your reduced contract is ending soon would detail the new cost and look similar to the one shown at the bottom of this message. 

VM do offer other methods to either negotiate a new deal or cancel rather than speaking on the phone, however they do take longer as phone calls take priority.

You could try the live messenger chat on the following page

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/leaving 

You can also speak to the team in a messenger format using WhatsApp on 0780 3089 684. 

Clipboard01.jpg

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Mike9299
Tuning in

I posted here on Tuesday asking for clarification of an increase to my direct debit and questioning the enormous increase in charges. A day later (yesterday) I received the first communication of my contract ending and disparities in prices on renewal. Previously in my 16 years with Virgin, I've received clear and well advanced notification of any changes but not this time.

For example, it stated that my current contract was £45.07 whereas I've been paying £42.43 since April, though my contract details still have £39. The reversion rate on that differs from the email reminder sent yesterday, where it appears that my charges will virtually double.

As my hearing is impaired, phone calls are problematic, and I would appreciate assistance in clarification and a reduction of my package cost, or maybe a change of package, though our usage hasn't changed for years and our broadband requirements are low (no streaming etc.)

I look forward to your help on this, as the forum has been very helpful on a previous occasion.

M.A.Reed

Cardiffman282
Problem sorter

Mike it's best to keep to one thread https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/DD-increase-today-but-no-communicat... 

---------------
Cancel VM here
Complain to VM
here
Demand compensation from VM here
Demand your call recordings here
Monitor the state of your VM connection here

Thanks, but I did, as usual, receive monthly details of the dd payment as I said.. What I hadn't received as my communication regarding the maturity of my contract until yesterday, just 14 days before that happens. I had hoped to avoid phoning due to my age-impaired hearing and problems have been sorted here in the past.

Mike Reed

Thank you Alex,

I've just found these replies to my previous post (I am digitally challenged!) but not before sending another today, as I thought it had not been recorded.  I really would like you to suggest another but similar package or help in reducing the unclear but seemingly almost 100% uptick on my current contract.

As I mentioned, I have hearing problems on the phone, having to ask for frequent repetition. I can't understand why the charges (which aren't clear as they've changed) have gone up by such an unaffordable amount compared to previous increases.

Mike Reed

Hey Mike9299, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear you are a little confused. 

Just to confirm are you looking for a renewal? 

if so you can do this here 

Discounts do only last for so long and we send these out in advance.

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?