cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged unknowingly for early connection

bobbymcgill
Joining in

When moving house last month, I phoned up to cancel my account. I have been on a rolling contract for a number of years now, so I phoned up to give my month's notice, and to happily pay my last month's bill. 

I was told I could be disconnected on a certain date, which was sooner than a month, and at no point was I told that that would count as an early termination. So it was a surprise for me to get my final bill with an early termination fee of £47 added on. 

If I had known I would be charged this, I would have simply waited out my last month, instead I've been disconnected early and charged for it. And now, when I go to raise a complaint, I get told I can't because I'm no longer a Virgin Media customer. 

This seems completely outrageous to me, and I feel completely conned after being an account holder for the last 5 years. And of course there's no good board to go to for this, there's conveniently no good board to go to complain about issues like this. Atrocious service after such a long time as an account holder. 

Any help appreciated. 

4 REPLIES 4

Cardiffman282
Knows their stuff

It does sound like a case of poor service at VM's end that the VM forum team might choose to just clear up. 

Failing that did the agent say or indicate that you would not be charged? If so all calls are recorded and that could be an avenue.

Also is your new address a VM zone? If not then there should be no fee. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey bobbymcgill, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear this, also a warm welcome to the community.

We would only charge for this if you was in contract if you was on a rolling contract we wouldn't charge disconnection fee.

Please do remember we continue to charge right up until the day of the disconnection and we also bill a month in advance.

Is there just one disconnection fee on the bill or more than one?

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Hi Matthew, thanks for the reply - yes I had been on a rolling contract for some time. 

Completely understood on charging until I'm disconnected, this was my understanding as well, but not the early termination. 

There's just one - there is a bill for the last month (the usual charge for one month), and then a charge for early termination. 

Thanks,

Robert

Hi @bobbymcgill,

If you weren't midway through an agreed minimum term then you shouldn't be charged an early disconnection fee.

So that we can take a closer look for you, I'm going to send you a private message. Please respond to this when you can and we'll proceed from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!