cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing name of account

Jeni
Superfast

I was having problems with VM yesterday when I telephoned regarding a fault.  The account is in my husband's name but we added a password so I could discuss anything or report faults etc because he had a stroke and finds using a phone difficult.  This always worked well in the past but yesterday the people I talked to (or tried to talk to) insisted that they must speak to my husband despite my explaining the problem. I got passed around to about 5 people - in the end I managed to get my husband to give some letters from the password and then they agreed to speak to me.  One guy even said I should phone back later when my husband "was better"!

The last man was a bit more helpful and suggested I should have my name added to the account but could not say how I can do this.  Payment will remain via DD from my husband's bank account so we don't want that changed - just the my name added so I can speak to people should future problems arise.

Any suggestions how I can do this? From what I have said you can see that suggesting we telephone anyone really is a difficult option!

10 REPLIES 10

Arissa_H
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Jeni 👋🏼.

Thank you for posting, welcoming you with big virtual arms to our community forum 🤗.

Sorry to see this has happened to your husband and hope he has a speedy recovery, sending love from our Virgin Media family ❤.

Have you thought about getting power of attorney, as this will help you out in the long run. This way you can speak on behalf of your husband and it will make it much easier for you. Once you have taken power of attorney, if you send us the documents we require we can then look into this for you. 

Please can you confirm are you still having the faults/issues? If you are let us know and we can take a closer look for you.   

Ari - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Jeni
Superfast

Yes I do have Power of Attorney - all the documents are with my Solicitor at the moment and I am not sure I would want to send original to you anyway to be honest!  I was speaking to someone on the Technical side about our email problems this morning and he gave me a number of someone to speak to on Monday - I guess they will say the same though, but maybe an email copy of POA would be acceptable.  Otherwise I shall try persisting with using the password and hoping my husbad can croak down the phone.

Re the problems we are experiencing -  I can receive emails on my ntlworld address, downloaded through Thunnderbird  but cannot reply.  It's OK if I use VM website email though.  None of your technical people have managed to help with this - I suspect I am not clicking on the right buttons!   My husband has lost his virginmedia email entirely.  So basically we are transferring everything to gmail addresses/notifying new address to various contacts.  Remarkably time consuming!!

Power of artery? Reminds me of https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8HOfcYWZoo

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

Thank you for confirming to us Jeni. Sorry to see you are having issues with your email and are not able to reply to them ☹. Your husbands email, are you able to log in at all? Are you receiving any error codes? Have you tried clearing the Chace and cookies before trying your email?  

Ari - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Sorry for the delay in replying - my emails are not downloading at all via Thunderbird now.  Only when I log into VM and look at webmail did I see that I had more emails.  My husband is unable to log into his account at all.  The error code I receive is "Login to server imap.virginmedia.com with username xxx@ntlworld.com failed. Enter new password"  I don't know what/where I am supposed to find/link a password; any that I have used with the account in the past do not work.

I tried clearing my cache and cookies - now having set a new password I can at least get the emails received dowloaded to my Inbox on Thunderbird.  Still can't reply to anything though, get the same error message as above.

Jeni
Superfast

Well this is fun - not.  Having gone through all the palaver of setting a new password and actually having some emails download - the whole thing is not working again.  I cannot get any emails to download to my Thunderbird account so it looks like I amstuck with using the Webmail until I can get everything transferred to my gmail account.

Hi Jeni 👋 thanks for getting back to us! 

Sorry to hear about your experience on the phone, and also trying to get these email issues sorted. 

You can see a bit more information about changing account holder here 👉 How do I change account holder details? | Virgin Media Help . We would not request you send in the original of any documents (such as your POA) but rather send us a digital copy. There are some actions which are account holder only, unless this has been set up.

In terms of the email issue - It may be best if we just check everything is set up correctly on your account from our side. 

It's worth noting that to access each email address, you need to have an active and working My VM login. You should have an individual login for each email address (preferably under a non-VM email address, for additional security and to stop issues if you get locked out of the VM email account for any reason.) This gives the ability to generate secure 3rd party mail app passwords through My VM. 

You can read more information about managing email accounts here 👉 How to manage my email account | Virgin Media Help and my VM accounts here 👉 How to manage my account | Virgin Media Help

I will also send you a PM to confirm a few account details so we can check and offer support getting things sorted! You can find the PM in the top right corner of the page in your Inbox. 📩 We can then return to this public thread with another update when possible. Thank you for your patience in the meantime!

Wishing you all the best. 🌞

Molly

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Jeni, 

Thanks for coming back to Molly via private message. 

We're happy that she was able to resolve most things for you via private message. 

If you have any more issues, or need further help - pop back to us in the Community. 

Take care,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs