cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancellation woes - how to open a dispute?

Beagle23
Joining in

I took out a new broadband contract with VM back in October after moving from BT, unfortunately after receiving the kit I was unable to connect to the service. After hours on line trying to reach tech support I gave up and cancelled my account using the online chat service. Because I had spent over a week trying to reach tech support (in my lunch hour at work - so time limited), I was two days beyond the grace period and subsequently charged £442 as an early cancellation fee. I couldn't afford to wait any longer, I work from home and needed a working broadband service. 

I have tried time and again to open a dispute with VM. I can't submit a webform as my account is no longer active and web chats lead me in circles, one lasted over 4 hours and got nowhere (I kept the transcript).

With the creditors chasing me I don't know how to take things forward. I don't want to pay the fine as I never had a working service and not a single MB of data flowed through the router. If there had been a working service and I had cancelled that would be different.
Any advice on how to contact the right VM team gratefully received

3 REPLIES 3

g0akc
Problem sorter

A forum rep may come along shortly and help you (they were very helpful to me recently).

Otherwise follow the process here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/legal/consumer-complaint-resolution-code-practice

Ultimately you will likely/probably need to raise a case with the Ombudsman (mentioned in that page).  You need to have given VM the opportunity, in reasonable timescales, to resolve your complaint before you do.

Make sure you have things documented and can upload those to support your case.  Make it clear what you want - e.g. to be released from the contract without penalty/charges. Raising a cause can be a bit daunting, but it's straightforward enough.  Follow through the steps. Allow time for responses. If the debt collectors are knocking on the door I can only suggest you explain to them that you are in dispute and are going to the ombudsman as necessary.  I guess there's a proper procedure around that - I'm just saying off the top of my head.  If it were to go to court (which presumably debt collectors/bailiffs would need to do) then explain the same.

It's not quick but hopefully it will resolve matters for you. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Beagle23
Joining in

Thanks G0akc

The thread has been marked as resolved but if a member of staff is available to comment (or any other users), I'd appreciate the input

Hey @Beagle23,

Welcome to the Community Forums and thanks for the post.

Sorry to hear about your situation with us and the issues faced when cancelling, I would like to help you with this and see what we can do for you with regards to the charges, for this I will need to send you a Private message so that I can review the account with you.

Joe