cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I leave please?

returnofjim
Tuning in

I have just had the email to say the price rise by 8.8% is due on April 1st. Can I leave my contract now due to the price rise without penalty?

7 REPLIES 7

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No not anymore. You should have been advised about this in a email, possibly late last year.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Joseph_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey @returnofjim,

Customers will not receive a right to cancel as a result of this notification because this increase forms part of their Terms & Conditions with us. This was explained to customers last year when we introduced this contractual price change and we offered them a right to cancel without penalty. Customers who have joined since we introduced this policy were made aware of it when they signed up.

Joe

returnofjim
Tuning in

But technically I've not agreed to it. How can I if I've not read the email?

It's all a bit shoddy if you ask me. Long term customers like myself will have always assumed that you can cancel when there is a mid contract price increase as its been this way for as long as I can remember.

As soon as my contract is up I'll be off this time as I have the option to move to cityfibre now, Virgin doesn't have monopoly in my area anymore. 

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

FYI: Ofcom proposes ban on inflation-linked mid-contract price rises - Ofcom

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

It's not VM's fault if you haven't read an email!

Hi returnofjim, 

Thanks for coming back to us in the community. 

When we informed customers of the price rise last year, we also advised them that the way we handle price rises moving forward was changing. We have also added this into the terms and conditions for any renewing or re-contracting customers. We also sent our reminders late last year to again remind existing customers of the changes. At that point we offered a final period to leave penalty free. 

If you've not contacted us to do this then this means you've agreed to the terms by using our service. We cannot be responsible if you've not read any communications from us. These have been sent based on your account preferences and we always advise to read any emails/letters from us to ensure you are up to date on anything important. 

Apologies for any frustration caused. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Every customer will receive an individual price rise specific to them. If you wish to discuss your increase further, you can reach us online (virg.in/contactvm), by calling 150 from your Virgin Media landline, or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone.

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?