cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting home phone number out, impact on contract?

Luisb
Tuning in

My contract has currently about 25 days to run and I am considering porting out the landline number to a VoIP provider. If I make the request now (to the 3rd party), is there a danger that VM will consider this as contract termination or notice for broadband? Or will they just assign a new number? Also typically how long should the transfer take (say to SIPgate as an example)?

Thanks for any experience / information.

Background for information: having had some Kafka-esque computer chats, with offers given and then taken away, I have decided enough is enough after more than 20 years and with lots of options now - but would like to retain number for incoming calls at least. Having talked to potential new suppliers, I am slightly concerned that the two transfers (number and broadband) are tricky to coreograph in that the number transfer requires maximum overlap to avoid loss of the number, while broadband transfer requires minimum overlap to avoid paying for two services :). Hence idea to start by parking number in a third party and decoupling the two issues....

5 REPLIES 5

Joseph_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @Luisb,

Welcome back to the Community Forums and thanks for the post.

If you are raising a number port, this would not affect your broadband only the port itself, you can do this 1 of 2 ways, you firstly can speak to the other company you wish to port to and have them request with us, or you can speak to us directly to go about initiating the port out for you. 

The later would allow you to be sure that we are only affecting the landline.

Joe

Hi @Joseph_B

Thanks for super quick answer. I agree it would be better to start from VM but I thought number ports always had to start from the receiving end (in fact I am sure I was told that by CS in the middle of random conversations on chat). Are you 100% sure about this? Again taking an example, I already have an account with the 3rd party, so they would need to know  that the number is coming into that account etc...Thanks,

Luis

Hey @Luisb,

So what you can do is raise the export with us, but yes you would still need to let the company know the request this, all doing it with us first really confirms is that it will just be the landline disconnected with this request.

Joe

bluemoontg
Tuning in

Hi I am planning to do the same thing. How did your changeover go? Which VOIP did you use?

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@bluemoontg wrote:

Hi I am planning to do the same thing. How did your changeover go? Which VOIP did you use?

Nothing to stop you doing this. However, your landline attracts a huge discount on your Broadband, which you will lose by porting out. Some customers have found themselves paying more for Broadband alone than they were paying for both beforehand, so make sure it's worth it before making the change.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks