cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Forwarding on Hub 5/5x

runtime
Joining in

I got my router today, and I immediately tried to port forward to share my Minecraft server with my friends. Unfortunately I can't even find the option to Port Forward, I've checked the Advanced Settings inside and out to no avail, with the only somewhat relating option being Port Filtering where even that doesn't work. It seems that the router prioritizes IPv6 than IPv4 since all I can find are IPv6 Firewalls, DHCPv6 server being completely unable to disable, and the port filtering only accepting an IPv6 address rather than the simpler IPv4. Can someone help me figure out how to get port forwarding on this router??

I'm not sure on which Hub I have though, might be the 5 but I don't know the difference between the 5 and 5x.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
8 REPLIES 8

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

IPv6 isn't used by VM UK. Are you in Ireland, if so you won't get much help on this UK board.

What service are you paying for?  That determines the Hub type. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Yeah, I am in Ireland. Think I should've mentioned that earlier.. I'm paying for the 1 Gigabit connection.

Ahhh quite unfortunate. Might need to switch then. Is it possible to switch easily? I didn't know it would take this long to have a good, decent setup.

carl_pearce
Community elder

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As far as I know VM IE are on GCNAT and for port forwarding you need VM IE to “downgrade” you to IPv4 only.  At least that was the solution a while ago. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks a lot, is it even possible to use an FTP server and RDPs with IPv6? I'd say I'm asking for a bit much there.

I guess I'll try asking Support through the web first tomorrow. Otherwise calling it is.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@runtime wrote:

I guess I'll try asking Support through the web first tomorrow. Otherwise calling it is.

The contact details for VM IE, including online messenger are on the following page:-

https://www.virginmedia.ie/contact/ 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali