cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Playstation 5 slow wifi speed

deanomcfarlane
Joining in

Hi, I’ve got a PlayStation 5 in a bedroom… on the landing 5 foot away is a WiFi pod.

WiFi speeds can Be as terribly slow as 2.5mb to 10mb download. Yet doing a speed test using my iPhone right next to the PlayStation I get 225mb download!

is there a reason why the virgin wifi box and pod might be limiting speeds to the PS5?

any ideas? 

thanks very much 

Dean 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is the PS5 connected to the Pod? It may be connecting to the Hub and I don’t think you can steer devices with the Connect app? 
As a test run a Cat 6 cable to the Pod and test the speed.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is the PS5 connected to the Pod? It may be connecting to the Hub and I don’t think you can steer devices with the Connect app? 
As a test run a Cat 6 cable to the Pod and test the speed.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

deanomcfarlane
Joining in

Thanks for your fast reply. Ok yeah I’ve just checked in VM Connect app and the PlayStation is connected to the Hub 3 downstairs in living room.

it would be better connected to the nearby pod yes

any way I can do this?

Thanks, yes I have a cat6 cable so will try this 

deanomcfarlane
Joining in

Hi, yes with a cat6 cable from wifi pod to PlayStation… the PlayStation is getting 160mb, which is great.

just don’t want a cable running along landing and into a bedroom 🙂

one solution would be to put an extra wifi pod in the bedroom to use a cat6 cable with it.

first, I’ll rule out any problems with wifi in the PlayStation 5.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Okay glad you got to the bottom of the problem.  I don’t know if you can force kit to a particular Pod as I don’t use them. I always use my own WiFi kit. You can think about using a powerline ethernet extender from the Hub to your room. It will be better than WiFi if you can’t get the WiFi sorted. 

deanomcfarlane
Joining in

Thanks for your advice… yes I actually ya e a powerline Ethernet extender set from a previous setup… so could try that

thanks for your time again 🙂

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Grand, I would recommend a wired gaming connection every time.  Even if it's only an older 10/100 PLA, it should have a more stable connection than WIFI.  However, I would recommend trying to get a wired connection to your room, even if you have to use an outside wall.  I've recently cabled for a family member, from the lounge, outside, up behind a spout and into the  roof space.  From there dropped down into a bedroom to a switch and a Wifi AP.

deanomcfarlane
Joining in

Thank you… that’s another good option if the powerline Ethernet doesn’t work 👍🏻

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey deanomcfarlane,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your connection to your Playstation 5, has any of the advice offered so far been able to resolve your WiFi connection issues since you last posted or do you need any further assistance?

Kind Regards,

Steven_L