cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sent emails in Outlook and VM

PeterB
On our wavelength

I have Outlook set up and it pulls through my emails from my VM account as expected. However, it does not push sent emails through the VM account so there is no record of them if I log into the account. Is it possible to have them pushed to the VM account? How do I set that up?

5 REPLIES 5

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey PeterB,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums. Just so I can get this straight, are you sending emails through the Outlook email client and the emails are not showing in the webmail version of your email account, is that correct?

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

Sololobo
Superstar

Have you set up your Outlook for POP or IMAP access?

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@PeterB wrote:

I have Outlook set up and it pulls through my emails from my VM account as expected. However, it does not push sent emails through the VM account

That sounds as if you have used the POP3 rather than IMAP settings when you set up your VM email account in Outlook.

POP3 simply picks up new emails received into your email account and allows you to send emails from the client (in your case Outlook) - which is what you are seeing.

IMAP synchronises all you email folders including Inbox and Sent folders in the client application (Oultook) and your VM webmail account. It also means that when you delete an email form Outlook it will also be deleted from your VM webmail account.

Microsoft explain that here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/what-are-imap-and-pop 

Here's a link to a VM helpsheet including the settings to use for POP3 and IMAP under the heading "How to set up my Virgin Media email on a device"   https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/manage-email-account#48322eb1-7679-4e11-b7ea-f643dcd3784b 

Just so you know, you cannot convert a POP3 account in Outlook to an IMAP account. You will have to delete the POP3 VM account in Outlook and set it up as an IMAP account. Once you set up an IMAP account in Outlook it will download all you emails from VM so that your VM accounts in Outlook and  VM webmail are in step.

Do not delete the VM email account from the VM website just delete from the settings in Outlook.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

PeterB
On our wavelength

Ha, I just reset my profile yesterday and it looks like I did it on IMAP as it was behaving completely differently which perplexed me. Your explanation explains all that. I've also found all my old emails in a .pst file which I've linked to Outlook.

I guess I could drag them all over to the sent box and they'd be saved.

Hi PeterB

Thanks for your response.

Just to clarify for us please, has the advise from the community here resolved the issue?

Please let us know if you need any further support.

Please pop back to us when you can.  

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide