cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ntlworld emails closing

Timah
Joining in

Hi is Virgin Media closing all ntlworld and blue yonder accounts within the next two years?

15 REPLIES 15

Indeed Graham, and I do take your point, but the question is still surely valid no, ‘are VM planning to terminate all existing VM-branded email provision within the near future’? Because the signs would hint that the answer is YES, would you not say?

But, you know this is easily settled, as a VIP member, you have access to the forum team members, so how about at the next meeting you ask Kei outright ‘will Virgin Media commit and promise to maintain and keep existing VM branded email addresses for, let’s say the next three years?’

Now if you do this and respond with an unequivocally ‘yes’, then I will apologise and withdraw my predictions, on the other hand if you decline to respond with any answer from VM, then it would be fair enough for customers to draw their own conclusions - no?😉

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You overstate the level of access that VIP forum members have to the commercial plans that Liberty Global have.  Indeed I doubt that the VM Forum staff have that much access either.  All I can say is that when the question you pose has been asked before the answer has always been there are no current plans to close down existing email accounts.  As I understand it the recent changes with third party usernames and separate App passwords are methods to increase the security of customer accounts.

However, I would agree that the decision implemented in May 2022 to stop new VM email addresses from being created could be seen as an indicator that VM may follow most other ISPs in withdrawing from the provision of an email service entirely at some future date.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

When VM staff say there are no plans to discontinue their email service, I am reminded of statements by a certain Russian gentleman that there were no plans to invade his neighbour. 

Of course there will be no official discussion that it might happen. One day a statement will be made giving a shutdown date, and that will be that. The only question is how long that notice period will be. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@QE2 

"will Virgin Media commit and promise to maintain and keep existing VM branded email addresses for, let’s say the next three years?’"

Sadly, even if VM did make that commitment we would all still have to draw our own conclusions. 😉

Microsoft said that Windows 10 was going to be the last version of Windows. Well, it was.......... until they introduced Windows 11 and now it seems that Windows 12 could be here in 2024.

One point that I have posted before is that if VM stopped supporting their email service it would not necessarily mean that the VM email accounts would all be closed.

VM might follow the Sky approach when it comes to their email service:

Sky stopped issuing new sky.com email accounts in October of 2018 but existing customers with Sky email accounts could  still access and make use of their accounts as normal. ( Sound familiar?)

Sky eventually did stop supporting their email service but they did not close it down. 

They passed it over to Yahoo Mail. So 5 years on, people with sky.com email accounts can still use their Sky email accounts by signing into the Yahoo email platform.  They can also manage them via the mail.yahoo.com servers (rather than the sky.com servers) in their email app or client.

So that is an option that VM could adopt if the wanted to.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

notsonewuser
On our wavelength

Quite simply. If I had known VM were dumping email , I would not have renewed my account with them (and frankly , if i can find another deal else where I'm quite prepared to end my contract early just to get away from VM) 

It was only the thought of having so sort change my old ntl email address with all the odd automatic announcements that have been routed to it in the last 30+ years that encouraged me to remain.

Bill

notsonewuser
On our wavelength

Graham_A

"Since May 2022 all new VM customers have been required to use a third party email address."

How would anyone renewing a contract know this!   There have been no emails to this effect from VM to any of my accounts, and It was not mentioned when renewing contracts .