cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NTLworld email account hacked and unable to change password

Statler
Tuning in

My ntlworld email account has been hacked and I am unable to log in to it on laptop or phone so unable to reset the password.

Emails are going out to contacts not sent by me but how do I fix it if I can't change the password and how compromising is this for items such as my bank accounts and just about anything?

Can anybody help or point me in the right direction to get this fixed urgently?

13 REPLIES 13

That is what i was hoping but so far not managed to work out how I can do that.

Presumably I would have to generate a new app password once I find out how to access the password in Outlook.

Statler
Tuning in

This is what I get when going into Account Settings:

Statler_0-1717607753176.png

Clicking on change does not allow me to update password.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Not sure why the change option is not allowing you to change the password.  If you are using the IMAP settings then deleting and then re adding the account may be the best option.  Before doing that make sure you make a copy of the outlook data file before you remove the account.

When setting it up again in Outlook you need to use the full Ntlworld email address as the username and the app password that you have already generated.

If you didn't keep a record of the app password then you will need to go through the process again to generate a new one.  You will then need to update your other email clients with the new app password as well as using it with Outlook.

So make sure you keep a record of the app password.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Statler
Tuning in

Finally managed to get both laptop and mobile working again.

This time I went into server settings which is under account settings and the password was showing so generated a new one, used that and updated my phone and bingo all seems to be working again.

Sneaky hacker had set up auto forward from last week so am missing a weeks worth of emails but turned that function off straight away. 

I have two open Virgin tickets with no way of getting updates plus countless WhatsApp chats and no progress from them.

Many thanks for your assistance. You are indeed a very insightful person and I really appreciate you taking the time to help.