cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NTLWORLD being removed

TryingToBeHappy
Dialled in

Hi all interested people, 

Just got off the phone with the VM Helpdesk.. I called as, when I logged into my VM account I was instructed by the system to change my email from @ntlworld.com to something else... This I did, but I found it strange that VM would require a non-VM email to log into their own system. 

Anyway, called up and was told that NLTWORLD is being retired and this was the first step. 

Not surprised or upset (ntlworld is sooo compromised) but thought an email making this statement would have been a good idea. 

Cheers all, 

Stuart 

23 REPLIES 23

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No plans have been published by VM for the cessation of their email system, but who knows. You will also not get a definitive answer from VM staff, they don’t know either and if they did they would have been advised not to publish it 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

At the moment there is nothing more than rumour that VM are going to stop their email service, but it does look likely.

It's time for anyone using any of the VM email domains to start moving to another service. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

TryingToBeHappy
Dialled in

Info I received was direct from the VM telephone help centre. I did suggest that some kind of notification would be in order - but as you say, who knows. 

The gentleman I spoke to was very certain, and confirmed several times... just sayin... 

interesting, I now log in to my VM account using an outlook email address, but the old ntlworlld.com email still exists and although I no longer use VM email, it gets a lot of scam email so I  have recently used email filtering to block all unknown scam emails, which works well.

I do hope the VM email is eventually retired, as there is no way to delete out an unwanted primary ntlworld.com email  as it not allowed under the rules unless you cease to be a customer.

My present ntlworld.com email has had 10 data breaches and 5 leaked passwords and my name leaked in the past but is secure now

It is also interesting that in 2003 I changed my email address prior to Virgin taking over  (was NTL) when it was allowed to change email in those days, my old ntlworld.com email address is no longer valid now, it may have been hacked back in 2003 or thereafter or re-used, and had a different female name listed, not mine, an IP address in Italy, 2 leaked phone numbers and a leaked location.

I now use gmail. outlook and yahoo as my main free emails and all seem to work well.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"Info I received was direct from the VM telephone help centre." and pigs can fly!

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

TryingToBeHappy
Dialled in

Tudor ...

No, really - he said what I said, he said!

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@TryingToBeHappy wrote:

No, really - he said what I said, he said!

No-one is doubting that the support guy said that.

However, the point is that the staff on the 150 line do have a history of making things up, or perhaps I should say more diplomatically, "giving incorrect information".

Just one example: for years the 150 customer support staff  have been telling customers with virgin.net email accounts that those email accounts are now managed by TalkTalk but it's just not true.

The fact is that Virgin sold their ADSL network to TalkTalk years ago but VM kept responsibility for the associated virgin.net email accounts and you would think VM support staff would know that.  However, they still kept advising virgin.net users to contact TalkTalk.  So either VM staff were not aware of the facts or they said it to fob people off.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

JulieT6
On our wavelength

I wish someone had told me that too.  I've been having problems and not been able to access emails at sporadic times, including 10 days in December, and it would have been nice to know about this. I would really like to know how we are supposed to deal with this? I don't even know what it actually means for people who have ntl email? What are we supposed to do?   I was also told to log in using my googlemail address.  I have hundreds of files and folders in my Outlook associated with ntl, and that includes a great many current trips, am I going to have any advice about what to do with all that or am I being hung out to dry?  Is Virgin deliberately providing poor service currently (My broadband is sporadic and rubbish) in the hopes we NTL people all desert in droves to other providers?
 I would love to, but I don't know what to do with all those emails !!

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin Media ARE NOT announcing plans to close down their email service at this current time.

First line agents in call centres are unlikely to be made aware of plans regarding closure of the email service ahead of Virgin Media announcing it officially somewhere.  It's more likely the result of Chinese whispers distorting the facts.  Will they close it in the future - possibly, or they may prefer to reduce the number of legacy email accounts by attrition, e.g.  Closure of emails that are not correctly linked to a current broadband service.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks