cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost private folders

theoklink
On our wavelength

Suddenly my wife's personal email folders can no longer be found.They still show in the email client but are greyed out so are inaccesible. Checking at the virgin back end, the folders cannot be found. Please sent me a PM so I can provide further details or restore the lost personal data

20 REPLIES 20

We're sorry for the situation, 

We can see this is still being looked into, and would have an update as soon as possible.

Alex_Rm

theoklink
On our wavelength

I appreciate your effort on getting this resolved but this is all quite worrying. Is this not a simple restore from a previous backup?.  The lack of progress makes me wonder whether your system has been compromised by an unauthorised entity. Should this be the case, I am sure Virginmedia is aware of their duty to inform the authorities and  affected users immediately.

As I have seen some changes to my mailbox does this mean they are working on the production system? surely not as this would introduce even more risk of data corruption or data loss.

Or am I just being strung along....

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@theoklink You need to understand that as per the terms and conditions of your VM broadband account and the acceptable usage policy that VM do not keep backups of your emails.  It is your responsibility to keep backups of any important emails that you keep on the VM mail servers.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Please don't waste my time with BS. Virginmedia has a duty to safeguard clients data. End of

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Not BS just the facts.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

@theoklink wrote:

Please don't waste my time with BS. Virginmedia has a duty to safeguard clients data. End of

I do appreciate that the loss of certain emails is distressing for you, but Graham_A is completely correct. Firstly VM don’t keep backups of users’ mailboxes. Think about it, what would be their retention time - how far back could you expect to ‘recover’ emails, how much additional storage would that require, who is going to pay for it?

Now you mention ‘safeguarding clients’ data’, absolutely true, except this refers to data that they retain which is required to provide the service, your personal details, address, banking information etc. Stuff that they have to know to provide the service.

Email is different, it was always an add-on service, take it or leave it! But if you chose to make use of it, then there were conditions in the Ts and Cs which you agreed to. Mainly that VM have no responsibility to ‘look after’ mailbox contents, that’s down to you. They will employ ‘best efforts’ but other than that…..

Now I do realise that this isn’t what you want to hear and you are going to complain to xyz authority - which is entirely your prerogative. But I promise you that I do know what I am taking about and it will go nowhere.

Please work on the basis that the missing emails are gone, sorry about that, but they are and won’t be coming back. Now what can you and your wife do to mitigate against any problems this might cause?

Hi theoklink,

We are sorry for the delay in getting back to you. 

We will send you a further private message now so we can update you on this.

Please look out for the envelope in the top right of the page and pop back to me when you can. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@theoklink 

While I completely agree with the previous posters that:

• VM do not seem to keep back ups of emails
  • VM's Broadband Terms and Conditions specifically say that it is the user's responsibility to keep back ups

However, I would make a few more positive points to help you check out what's going on.

In many cases where VM emails mysteriously disappear from an email account it is is down to them having been deleted from within the email client rather than by VM. However, the fact that the vestiges of these "private folders" still appear in the email client does suggest that they were deleted from the VM side. I don't want to get your hopes up, but there have been some cases where posters on this forum have reported that VM have been able to restore lost emails in those circumstances.  Certainly the fact that the folders are still listed (albeit greyed out) does point to the problem being caused at the VM end.

I would suggest that you run a simple  check to confirm whether those folders do still exist in the webmail account.

Firstly, sign into the affected webmail account and click on the cog (Settings) symbol on the right hand side.

Then click on Email in the left hand menu. Then click on the  "Change IMAP subscription" box to the right hand side.

That will list all folders in the VM email account so you can check if it they are listed there.

Secondly, if by "private" folders you mean additional folders that have been created by your wife, they should appear under the "My folders" heading in the list of folders on the left hand side of the main webmail account screen. However, if the missing folders have now become subfolders within one of your folders that could result in them being greyed out in the email client because they are no longer in the place the email client expects them to be.

So I would check out the folders under that "My folders" heading. If the caret symbol beside "My folders" in the list of folders points to the right > then click on it so that points down so it displays all the underlying folders. Do that for every personal folder listed just to make sure that the missing folders have not been moved and are now subfolders of another folder.

I hope that one way or another you are able to regain access to those missing emails.

Finally, I have to say that you and your wife should seriously consider switching to email accounts provided by a  non ISP email service.

VM stopped issuing new email accounts back in May 2022 and since then all new VM broadband customers have to use their own non VM email account and existing VM customers can no longer create additional secondary email accounts.

VM do still support the VM email accounts of existing VM broadband customers but they are in the process of deleting any VM email accounts that are no longer linked to a live VM broadband account.

VM remain silent as to exactly what their plans are for future of their email service but it seems pretty clear that VM no longer see the provision of an email service as being part of their business plans going forward.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

theoklink
On our wavelength

VM stopped issuing new email accounts back in May 2022 and since then all new VM broadband customers have to use their own non VM email account and existing VM customers can no longer create additional secondary email accounts.

VM do still support the VM email accounts of existing VM broadband customers but they are in the process of deleting any VM email accounts that are no longer linked to a live VM broadband account.

It is clear that VirginMedia is trying to get rid of legacy customers without incurring any costs such as compensation or reduced rates/offering alternatives. I guess losing customer data is one one to achieve this

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Much as I deplore Virginmedia's appalling customer dis-service, I doubt that they would deliberately lose emails.

But the number of problems that have occurred with email accounts over the past couple of years demonstrates clearly that the VM email service is not fit for purpose.

It's time for the users to move to a more reliable email provider. And of course to keep their own offline copies of all important data. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.