cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link Existing Email Accounts to New Contract

markp_vm
Joining in

I am an old Virgin Media residential broadband customer and I had 4 virginmedia.com email accounts associated with that contract.  In 2020 I switched to Business Broadband, but have continued to use these email addresses without issue (a protracted negotiation resulted in VM commiting to keep them live for me, despite business not supporting emails).

My requirement for business broadband (fixed IP) no longer exists, so I have recently switched back to residential broadband.  I would like to link those 4 email accounts to my new contract, so that they are supported properly and I can manage them again.

I have created a new MyVirginMedia account using a non-VirginMedia email as required and it is successfully linked to my new contract.

I have made three calls and spent several hours on the phone with Customer Services to link up the email accounts, but without success.

Please can I have some technical support from VM to link the 4 email addresses to my new contract, as suggested here: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/How-do-I-link-existing-email-accounts-to-new-cont...

Many thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @markp_vm 👋

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post.

To clarify, are the email addresses concerned currently linked to your previous business account?

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi - no I don’t believe so. I suspect they are orphaned as the original residential account through which they were created was closed when I switched to business. I was told that business accounts could not have email. I was told I could continue to use the accounts to send and receive email and they have been fine. Now I’m back with residential I would like them properly linked to the new account so for example that they do not get deleted as orphaned accounts.

Hi, markp_vm,

Thank you for reaching back out and for the above information, so we can see if we are able to bring the email addresses over we would first need to clear security on both the old and new account, I will send you an invite into a private chat, please click on the white envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.

markp_vm
Joining in

Still waiting for help with this one despite a couple of messages.  Anyone from VM able to pick this up please?

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

I don't want to rain on your parade, but the usual answer is that email accounts can only be transferred when one Virginmedia account is directly replaced by another.

I'm sure what you want is technically possible, but you may find them unwilling to do it. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@markp_vm 

A couple of things to bear in mind:

1) Virgin Media stopped issuing new email accounts over two years ago.

Although VM currently still supports existing VM email accounts that are linked to a residential VM broadband the future of the VM email service itself is unclear.

2) Also, VM's new email account authentication process means that you will need to use  a different non VM email address for each of your VM email accounts. So you will need 4 non VM email accounts in order to continue to operate your existing VM email accounts.

All I'm saying is that even if VM is willing and able to transfer your existing VM email accounts it is not going to be as straight forward for you to continue to operate them as you might be expecting.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks