cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LOST My Virgin Media secondary account

Chezmoi30p
Tuning in

Here we go again - loss of secondary account from My Virgin Media! I gather I am not alone!!

At 11.00 am today I was suddenly requested to input my account IMAP details for my VM (secondary) account when using Outlook on my android mob phone. I tried several times - u/name and/or p/w incorrect, so I thought it might be another VM email server problem. As it also happened on the PC using Outlook 365 with error 0x0800CCC0E, I was fairly convinced about my initial suspicions. I therefore attempted to access the account using My Virgin Media and the same secondary account - surprise, surprise the p/w was rejected. After reading loads of so-called "help" pages, I then went though the rigmarole of resetting the VM secondary user p/w - anyone who's tried it will know EXACTLY what I mean. So, I was able to reset the p/w, enter it for the secondary account on both devices (mobile and PC) and lo-and-behold I was back in. Yippeee!!! However my euphoria was short lived as I can no longer see the secondary account when I login to My Virgin Media using my PRIMARY account, so I can't see a way of ever changing that p/w again as there's no way of managing it now.

I've tried to add the secondary account back in using the primary account, and an email inviting confirmation has been sent to my secondary VM email account. However I'm very reluctant to click on the link take it any further as I don't want to run the risk of losing access completely, because I can still send and receive emails for that secondary (and most important!) account.

Any words of wisdom (very, very) gratefully received!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi there @Chezmoi30p 

Thank you for popping back to us and let me confirm the questions for you. 

In regards to adding back the secondary email, this would not be possible as it is a way of keeping each email secure, your account would remain the same as it was.

Unfortunately a third party email cannot be used to manage more than one secondary email, as each additional email account needs a third party email address to view. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Joseph_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @Chezmoi30p,

Welcome back to the Community Forums and thanks for the post.

Sorry to hear you were having this issue, with the secondary email, you are able to reset the password via our website here.

Joe

Chezmoi30p
Tuning in

Thanks, Joe, for your response - much appreciated.

I had already managed to reset the p/w for my secondary account following the detailed VM Help instructions, but at the time hadn't realised the implications of doing so. As I'm sure you are aware, VM have changed the way in which these secondary accounts are managed. Rather than using the primary account, once a p/w has been changed, each secondary account now has a u/n of its own which has to be an email address that is NOT in a VM domain. However the ORIGINAL p/w is still in place, so it's no wonder folks get confused and think management access to the secondary account has been lost. Unfortunately that secondary email address can no longer be seen from the primary account - again contributing to the fear that the account has been "wiped".

My questions are therefore:-
a) Can this newly-named secondary account be added back into the list seen in the primary account by invitation (as described in my first post)? I'm a bit reluctant to charge ahead without confirmation that this WON'T result in the loss of all my existing mail for that secondary account.
b) Can the same non-VM domain email address be used to manage more than one secondary account, or does each secondary account have to be fronted by a different user name i.e. another non-VM domain email address?

I tried using VM chat to get this resolved, and after a prolonged battle to get past the digital assistant, I was left with the distinct impression that the real person to whom I eventually spoke was more flummoxed than me about it all! 😉

Hi there @Chezmoi30p 

Thank you for popping back to us and let me confirm the questions for you. 

In regards to adding back the secondary email, this would not be possible as it is a way of keeping each email secure, your account would remain the same as it was.

Unfortunately a third party email cannot be used to manage more than one secondary email, as each additional email account needs a third party email address to view. 

arthurjack
Joining in

My secondary email only receives email but it won’t send? When I send I hear the woosh, but it gets stuck in outbox. If I send it again it disappears! This started today 29th April. It was fine yesterday?