cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this identity fraud or theft?

JohnOrrett
Up to speed

Hi, I have had a blueyonder email account since the year dot, previously being a telewest customer. 

As part of my internet security, I have a Malwarebytes subscription. This morning it gave me an opportunity to check my email address for any breaches. This is the result:

Hi Junie Langer,

Thank you for submitting your email for your free Digital Footprint scan. This report shows just a sample of the information online that is associated with the email address you gave us. Please note: The information displayed may be unfamiliar to you.

• Associated name: Junie Langer
  • Associated address: Po Box Eagles East Haven East Haven NEW HAVEN CT 06512 UNITED STATES
  • Your IP address may be 81.104.122.116, which puts your location around xxxxx, United Kingdom
    Our scan results show your email address was linked to 13 companies that have reported breaches. The most recent breach occurred in August 2023.

Needless to say, I am not in San Jose, and have no idea who Junie Langer is! You will notice that even though the email was received into my blueyonder email account, it states 'Hi Junie Langer'.

Since this report this morning, my blueyonder email account on Outlook is not working, although my secondary Virginmedia account still is. The error message has disappeared, but was along the lines of there is an issue with your email address and it is temporarily unavailable. It was working perfectly until I received the security report. I have checked the app password and it is still as it was setup.

Many thanks.

John

2 REPLIES 2

VMCopperUser
Wise owl

HIBP data doesn't normally share Assocaited Name/Addresses.  Go get the data straight from them (HIBP webpage), If the Name is not associated with a company leak then I wouldn't put any more thought into it, sometimes the aggregation of stolen data contains errors as they try to form links.  Bob.Vila@Mail.Com might tie in with Repairs.99@Othermail.com so if it see's Repairs.99@Yetmoremail.com then a link can be formed (and, be wrong)

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

Hi VMCopperUser, many thanks for the response. I'm not sure if Malwarebytes uses HIBP to generate these results. HIBP shows 9 breaches ranging from 2013 to 2019. Nothing Company specific to the associated address shown in my post, but a Google of the address shows a plumbing firm with the same PO Box and zip code, so as you say, maybe someone is trying to build up an aggregation of data. 

I'm not sure why the response from Malwarebytes was for 'Junie Langer' unless she works for the said plumbers?

As an aside, as well as the 9 breaches, my email address was found in one paste.