cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has my E-mail account been hacked - Emails received demanding Money

RoyU
Joining in

I have had an NTLWORLD email for many years. It is my primary email account. Last September after a family holiday, I could not get into my email and managed to change the email name I have us to log in to be my google mail email account (in the main virgin media account details page). It will not let me change back to the previous NTLWORLD email name as the username. I noticed in the last 1-2 weeks emails in my SPAM folder making an attempt at blackmail. I would not normally react as I know most SPAM is just junk or Phishing mail, however these have my NTLWORLD email address as the sender address, and have my name in the text. First could you check if anyone has access to my email account via the original username. Second, if anyone has logged into my email account from any locations outside the North West of England. I want to confirm my account is secure (as I use this email for all matters with any finance attached to them (e.g. buying / paying Mortgage etc). I also want to understand if these emails are a common occurrence and can be ignored and deleted as Phishing type emails.

I previously (1-2 weeks ago) changed the passwords to both my Virgin email account and my google mail email account, and still received a new SPAM email reportedly from my email address. I have only accessed my email account from my work laptop for the past 2 weeks since the password change just to rule out spyware on my devices. 

I have changes both my passwords today to make sure I am secure from my side.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ;0)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Roy,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, sorry to see your Email may have been hacked and that you are now receiving Blackmailing Email, I will try to help you and will send you an invite into a private chat, look out for the white envelope, in the meantime as they are trying to Blackmail you this would be a police matter.

Regards

Paul.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

1 REPLY 1

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Roy,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, sorry to see your Email may have been hacked and that you are now receiving Blackmailing Email, I will try to help you and will send you an invite into a private chat, look out for the white envelope, in the meantime as they are trying to Blackmail you this would be a police matter.

Regards

Paul.