cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email not working since 15/04/24

al67
Superfast

Seems that there a lot of problems being reported since yesterday, 15/04/24, mainly concerned with the SMTP server for outgoing mail.

For me, I get:

16/04/24, 23:04:47: SEND - sending mail message(s) - 1 message(s) in queue
16/04/24, 23:04:47: SEND - Connecting to SMTP server smtp.virginmedia.com on port 465
16/04/24, 23:04:47: SEND - Initiating TLS handshake
!16/04/24, 23:04:47: SEND - Server reports TLS error: Handshake failure.

I've tried protocol logging, but as the initial handshake fails there is nothing to log.

As requested in a couple of the other threads, here's a curl report:

C:\xxx>curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com
* Trying 84.116.6.19:465...
* Connected to smtp.virginmedia.com (84.116.6.19) port 465 (#0)
* schannel: disabled automatic use of client certificate
< 220 csmtp6-prd-nl1-vmo.edge.unified.services csmtp6-prd-nl1-vmo.edge.unified.services ESMTP server ready
> EHLO xxx
< 250-csmtp6-prd-nl1-vmo.edge.unified.services hello [MOD EDIT: Personal information], pleased to meet you
< 250-HELP
< 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
< 250-SIZE 52000000
< 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
< 250-PIPELINING
< 250-8BITMIME
< 250 OK
> HELP
< 214-2.0.0 This is csmtp6-prd-nl1-vmo.edge.unified.services ESMTP service help
214-2.0.0 This is csmtp6-prd-nl1-vmo.edge.unified.services ESMTP service help
< 214-2.0.0 To contact postmaster send email to postmaster@virginmedia.com.
214-2.0.0 To contact postmaster send email to postmaster@virginmedia.com.
< 214-2.0.0 For local information send email to Postmaster at your site.
214-2.0.0 For local information send email to Postmaster at your site.
< 214 2.0.0 end of HELP info
214 2.0.0 end of HELP info
* Connection #0 to host smtp.virginmedia.com left intact

I haven't made any changes to my mail client settings for years, as appears to be the case with others. I did try a couple of changes, but nothing worked. I would be wary of what appears to be very poor advice being offered via the helpline regarding changing passwords etc as this appears to be an un-notified change in the server.

So, if you have started having problems, please contribute to this thread and we can hopefully get someone at VM to take a look, rather than wait for the customary 2 weeks before the problem mysteriously fixes itself 🙂

35 REPLIES 35

ABADGE
Tuning in

UPDATE:

Ok all, just logged in & all seems to be working now.

For note I did nothing but post on this forum so maybe kudos to you guys!

Email just started to work, so I guess someone from VM has sorted the problem, pity it took so long. Using Win 7 and Outlook 2010 didn't make any changes to my email settings. Needed to reboot the PC email didn't work earlier this morning.

Dare I say it - third party e-mail is sending and receiving now! But, unfortunately, it has taken 10 days for Virgin to fix the problem. Virgin - you could do much better.

al67
Superfast

Well, it's mysteriously and/or magically working again with no changes to my settings.

Congratulations to VM in fixing this in just 10 days, instead of the customary 2 weeks, and for keeping us updated. LOL! 🤣 Seriously, I think VM seriously need to look at the purpose of this forum, given the total lack of useful input from the staff.

Oh, couple of things, you may need to turn off "require secure authentication" or you get a "Server reports error. The response is: 5.1.0 Authentication Required (VM401)" which is either a server problem, or my email client has got it's settings flipped. Weird. Also, the ntlworld server on port 25 still woks, but delivery is very slow

Until next time, adios, it's been fun. Not as much fun as the great gmail fustercluck back in the day though 🙂

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

FWIW make the best use of time between now and the next issue to migrate away from Virgin Media's email service.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Yes! It's a constant surprise to me that people stay with VM email after all the warnings. 

They are clinging on to a sinking ship instead of taking to the lifeboats. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.