cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Open Webmail But Can Access Mail via 3rd Party Apps

fatdaz
Joining in

Hi all

I have an issue on one of my VM accounts. I can log into My VM no problem and I can log into email via 3rd party applications but I can't access webmail via the "Virgin Media Mail" link from My VM. I have had lots of backwards and forwards with the VM support team and they raised an IT ticket which was immediately closed because "... it's a browser issue". I've tried it on 3 different browsers on 3 different PC's including a brand new build with a fresh Chrome install so I'm reluctant to accept that it's browser based. VM support now tell me that resetting my email password will fix the issue but I am very reluctant to do that as this particular account was without email for 2 weeks recently following password issues and I don't want to mess with it unless I'm sure it will help. Does anyone have any ideas where I can look?

6 REPLIES 6

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@fatdaz wrote:

Hi all

I can't access webmail via the "Virgin Media Mail" link from My VM".

Does anyone have any ideas where I can look?

Have you tried accessing your VM webmail account directly rather than going via your My Virgin Media account?

If not, try entering your MVM username here https://mail2.virginmedia.com/  and then enter your password when prompted. That link takes you straight to your email account not your MVM account.

If that does not work, post back with the error message you get because that should give a hint as to what the problem is.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

fatdaz
Joining in

That also goes to the "Forbidden" message.

Rereading my original post I realise I didn't put in the failure message - it redirects to a blank page which just says "Forbidden"

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@fatdaz wrote:

That also goes to the "Forbidden" message.

Rereading my original post I realise I didn't put in the failure message - it redirects to a blank page which just says "Forbidden"

Thanks for that update. That's a problem that seems to be cropping up more and more with VM email accounts.

Sadly it looks as if you do need to do a password reset because that's the standard advice that VM always give. See this fairly recent post from a VM staff member https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/403-Forbidden-on-webmail-Again 

Just to warn you, in  the past some people have reported that it took a number of password resets to solve the problem.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi @fatdaz, thank you for your post.

We're sorry to hear about the problem you're experiencing 😔

I can see you've been in touch with the team since your latest post. Has a resolution been provided?

Please pop back to us at your earliest convenience.

Thank you for your support @coenoby 👍

Regards,
Daniel

fatdaz
Joining in

It's still not resolved. The latest request from support after nearly 2 weeks is for me to go through the process of regenerating an app password which seems a bit counter intuitive as the 3rd party apps are working and it's just webmail that isn't. This email account was recently down for nearly 2 weeks due to password issues and I am very reluctant to mess with it whilst access via 3rd party apps is working. I wanted to test out the 3rd party password generation process using a different account (which is locked) first to see how the process works and get a confidence in it. Unfortunately after following the first step of the process to associate a non-VM email address I received a message saying to wait for a validation email before doing anything else. I know the 3rd party email account I associated with this VM account works but no validation email has been received from VM so I am stuck as to how to progress. I really don't want to contact support again about this as, in the last 3-4 weeks I have spent in excess of 20 hours with VM support, I have raised 2 formal complaints and I still have 2 VM email accounts which don't work properly. I won't bore you with all of the history but as a customer experience this has been utterly appalling

Sorry to hear this @fatdaz 

I can see that the team had contacted you today and all looks to be resolved now. 

If you believe the issue to be resolved you can mark the thread as resolved by clicking the helpful answer given and this will show anyone else having issue that an answer was given and direct them to the post, alternatively you can just like or 'kudos' the post if it helped you. 

Please let us know if you are having any further issues or have any questions at all. We'll be here to help on the community forums if needed :). 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley