cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing secondary email via webmail

7dials
Tuning in

Hi, I have an ntlworld email address and a virginmedia one, which is secondary on the account but is the one I mainly use. I've lost track of the password, so I don't have webmail access to it. I do have access to the ntlworld one via VM signin.

Is it possible to reset the password for this email address alone, using the 'forgot password' link, or would I have to reset the main VM signin password as well?

I had to do that after VM blocked access for 'security' reasons, or something, and my heart sinks at the thought of having to go through it all again ...

Many thanks.

10 REPLIES 10

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Provided that security answers have been set for the secondary email address you should be able to reset it via the Forgotten password route.  Make sure that you are signed out of the other account before trying.  Then on the sign in page enter the secondary email address and click on forgotten password link and follow the process set out.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi 7dials,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Sincere apologies for being unable to gain access to your secondary email, just to gain a further update have you been able to rectify this with the advice from @Graham_A?

Let us know,

Kain

Thanks Graham, I did try to do that, but wasn't able to provide a required security detail, which I suspect I never registered. I followed the advice to phone VM, but when I finally got through, the call agent wasn't able to fix it either. He passed it on to the EMS team and told me they should have dealt with the problem by the end of this week.

No, I haven't. I got a text saying the issue had been fixed, so I tried the reset procedure that @Graham_A advised above. Same result as when I tried it in the first place: 'memorable place' requested, I'm unable to provide it (and strongly suspected I never registered one), told to sign in with main account sign-in email address ... and that gave me a link to reset the main account password. Which is precisely what I wanted to avoid – and which I now doubt would actually solve the problem I've wasted hours trying to fix.

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @7dials 👋,
Thank you for your post and I am so sorry to hear you are still having issues with your secondary email. I can take a look into this for you to see what is going on, I will pop you over a PM to get some details, just keep an eye out for the little envelope 👀📩
Thanks,

Zoie

Thanks very much! I'll look out for it.

Hi Zoie

A sort of update: the issue still hasn't been fixed, but I got a couple of voicemail messages from a VM agent today.

Unfortunately I could not understand them at all, although I've listened to them repeatedly. Something like this happened before. It's not even like I could call back to ask them, since the number logged was the main VM one.

Something like this happened a few weeks ago. Is it a team ticking a box so they can close the ticket? 

The lack of written communication about issues like this is one of the worst features of VM customer services. So frustrating!

Best wishes

Marek

Morning Marek,

We're sorry to see you missed a call from the IT team, so I can take a closer look at things I've popped you over a private message.

Alex_Rm

I got another voice message today, from the 2nd-line team, asking me to call back.

I did, and got the 'thank you for calling, we'll call you again if we need to, bye' message.

It's hard not to think VM is just trying to find ways of winding its customers up, instead of providing them with support.