cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local outages

pootleville
Just joined

What is the cause of local outages? Had two in my area in the past 5 days, both of which were fixed quite quickly, so that is OK. But don't want this to be a regular occurrence. Local area is FY5.

Thanks for any detail.

3 REPLIES 3

goslow
Alessandro Volta

I have never seen VM go into any specific details, on here, for the cause of outages. Could be multiple possibilities for an outage such as cable damage, equipment malfunction, bad weather causing issues etc. etc.

You are unlikely to get reply from a VM person here in 'Community Natter' as this forum is not really technical and VM staff don't reply here very often.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You will not get the response you are looking for on the broad or from customer services. VM staff are not advised of the cause of local outages.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Headend faults with the CMTS are usually fixed quickly, as are any local node issues. If you are on legacy HFC infrastructure these can be affected by amplifier failures & local power outages. Amplifier failures can take several hours to fix, & can result in overnight outages, as a new amplifier has to be pre-calibrated & tested before being installed on the network.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks