cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm leaving VM after 34 years!

pieman01
On our wavelength

Hello all,

The cancellation process wasn't too painful for me, I tried to use the 'chat bot' yesterday but after a 30min wait to speak to a real person I gave up.

This morning I phoned 0345 454 1111 and eventually spoke to a lovely lady called Kristina, I think I spoke to her 18 months ago when I went through this song and dance before.

Kristina could offer me another deal but this was more costly than I'm currently paying. Unfortunately as VM don't do price matching and CityFibre have given us fibre to the door I don't see the benefit of paying more and receiving less. I know our neighbours have switched and have been delighted with the speed and price.

I may yet come back to VM after 12 months, as 'new customers' always get the cracking deals on offer, but my 34 years means nothing!

Bye everyone.... at least for now.

S

31 REPLIES 31

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You have made the correct decision to leave if VM's renewal package/price was not competitive compared to CityFibre.

Dissatisfied991
Joining in

You were incredibly lucky to actually speak to someone. I’ve had more luck with the National Lottery. I’ve rang over 20 times now and nothing. The chatbot leads to a dead end and no response to my written request to cancel

John2021
On our wavelength

Sad , if I could leave I will , just found out that open reach will be installing soon , so that will give me chance to move as soon as my contract is up , also after many years with Virgin ,ntl before and diamond cable before that, all taken over .

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

I'm sure there will be many more VM customers leaving, as Openreach covers more areas with FTTP and provide a real alternative. 

OR are working in my area right now, and I've already had providers trying to sign us up.  So when my VM contract runs out in the new year they will have to work very hard to keep me on. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Weirdly I had a flurry of FTTP flyers about 16 months ago (including from Sky and even Openreach themselves). Since then... nothing. It seems the whole of the rest of the estate is done though. OR eligibility says December 26.

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

jrl7904
On our wavelength

congratulations

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you have written to cancel and used recorded delivery, you services should stop within a month of your last payment. I've done a previous cancellation by letter, recorded delivery, and it was processed as expected.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I intend to move from VM once my contract is up. I can't see anyway of getting good value unless you are a new customer.  I also hate the in contract price rises.  One of the Altnets for me I think, as some of them are a fixed 12 month price, possibly Aquiss.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

UhuruNUru
Tuning in

If anything could match VM, for speed I would consider it, I recently upgraded from my Legacy (out of contract since 2007) 150 Meg (was 2 meg in 2005), that was upgraded for no cost (Think I even saved a couple of quid) to 250 Meg a bit back when I last said I was thinking of cancelling.

Cost had risen to £50 for the 250 Meg, over time, and finally VM has offered an upgrade deal I thought good enough, earlier this year.

£59 per month (18 month contract) for Gig1 FibreOptic Broadband, Last 20m Cat 6 Copper
Download ≡ 1,130Mbps (141.25 MB/s), Upload ≡ 52Mbps (6.5 MB/s)

I've always got better than stated max speed, I'm very near the Green Box, that serves 18 flats, with only a few ever using the service.

Best part is the Hub5 Router is 1st class, that was a surprise, and for better than the hub2, crap I still used as Access point, I live in a Faraday cage flat, old under floor heating, above, metal frames on internal doors, I needed a really good router until this year.

Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000

That was the best in the world when I bought it, and is still damn good today, but hub5 is now better, could do with the WiFi booster in Kitchen, it drops off, and I'm entitled to one (or 3) with Gig1, but it's a real pain in the ass, jumping through hoops to get it though.

With Single Player gaming my main hobby download speed is the most important thing to me, I'm often grabbing 150 GB games in 10 minutes, but upload is bad (UK only place I know that even allows Up << Down, which sucks).

Nothing is matching Virgin for Speed, when I switched.

900 meg was best I saw, and given I do get top speed with VM, that "Up to clause" with BT Fibre, upto half the Max speed is possible.

I get why people might see cheaper deals, and jump, if they actually get lower than the package paid for. from VM.