cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got doorstepped...

MrHalfAsleep
Community elder

by a rival ISP earlier today; they had sent a letter saying that they were putting a pole up in the street for faster broadband.  Turns out that this wasn't quite the case and they're renting (or have bought) the telegraph pole over the road.  Anyway, earlier this afternoon, I was doorstepped by a manager called Anthony.

I don't particularly like this approach of doing business as I like to know what I'm saying yes to.  The conversation was fairly cordial and I mentioned that I was out of contract with VM and paying £71 PM for a landline/140Mbit.  The offer is for 4 days only; the blurbs state 1Gbit for less than £1 a day.  This is rather tempting.  I enquired about a landline (we're old fashioned and they still work) and was quoted £3 per month rising to £12 pm to use it properly (incoming/outgoing calls to all numbers including mobiles).  There is also an installation fee of £150, but I would get the first 3 months free*.

Should I sign up? I could be their only customer as there's lots of trees here!

*I know I've already paid (lol).

The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π
12 REPLIES 12

Cardiffman282
Knows their stuff

A good test is to call their customer service (not sales) number at peak time and see what happens. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Which ISP is this? It looks as if they're using Openreach's pole for their fibre.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

https://www.brsk.co.uk/documents/terms-and-conditions-home-broadband 

No system is 100% secure

π

carl_pearce
Community elder

"Average speeds achievable by 50% of users"

I'm out...

MrHalfAsleep
Community elder

I don't see them lasting long TBH.  VM's infrastructure may be cobbled together, but it is much better than just a telegraph pole that gets hit by cars regularly (it blocks a car park).  I also live on a U shaped street, so most houses can't be connected unless the pole is extended 4 or 5 times its height ( thus avoiding the trees) to get a line of sight.  Don't see that happening.  My reply to @Cardiffman282 on this thread https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Community-Natter/5324-month-bill/m-p/5341006#M71210 apply here.  The reasons stated there are why I wasn't entertaining it.  Thanks for everyone's input.

I also have a bit of a follow up on the Rolls Royce power stations mentioned in the linked thread.  A look on their website states that they are looking for investors to do the power stations, so they're not even a thing either.

No system is 100% secure

π

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Why would line of sight be needed when running cable from a pole?

--

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"Why would line of sight be needed when running cable from a pole?" The OP said there are trees in the way and they are certainly a no no for overhead services.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

If trees are in the way then the ISP calls Openreach to sort it out. This is nothing new.

--

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Depends whose trees they are and if they are protected.   

OR don't have carte blanche to hack through any trees they want. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.